587,192 active members*
2,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torq-cut 22 gear change problem

I've got a Bridgeport Torq-cut 22 with the 6000 rpm spindle. While running it shifted out of high range as per the program and when shifting to low range it refused to execute the change. Error message is "hi-lo switch time out during gear change" and now the machine is stuck in neutral. Is there any way to manually put the machine into either high or low range until I can sort this out?

The gearbox sounds as if it is trying to make the change but doesn't do it. When the machine was delivered new the shot pin needed some emery cloth treatment that the B-port technician performed. Hardinge has basically told me to get lost as the machine is too old for them to support.:violin:

Thanks,

Lampguy

NICE of Hardinge.
    I have shifted gears on machines that are a bit stubborn. While in ESTOP or machine off (but air ON), I can use 2 pin punches and press the manual spool shift buttons on the solenoid while a second person rocks the spindle back and forth.
    I use one pin punch to release the shot pin and while holding that I can press the HI/LOW solenoid to make the ROTAC move the gear plates in the transmission. Once there (the person rocking the spindle will feel the change) release both and make sure the shot pin is engaged again. This can be looked at in the maintenance page.
    If this does not work, you have a problem.
    Is the shot pin pulling out of the bottom gear plate to allow movement?
    Is the ROTAC trying to move the gear plates? It does have orifices to achieve smooth and slow movement,
    Are the switches on the ROTAC set correctly?
    Are the solenoids good?
    Transmission filled with the right oil? It does have a sight glass.
    The motor pulls straight up and out of the transmission, then the top plate of the transmission can be removed and you can investigate the situation.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The red solenoids have the manual spool buttons facing you. The black ones are top and bottom on the coil shafts.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

torq cut 22 gear box oil

Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful advice!

The manual seems pretty vague on what oil should be used in the gearbox. Do you know of any current synthetic oils that are suitable and a possible source?

Thanks,

Lampguy

Quote Originally Posted by lampguy View Post
    Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful advice!

The manual seems pretty vague on what oil should be used in the gearbox. Do you know of any current synthetic oils that are suitable and a possible source?

Thanks,

Lampguy
    Hi

I have a TC-2G, which seems to have the same gearbox.
    bptparts.com has the parts and gears you might need for it, indeed hardinge does not support it any longer. They charge a bit too much for standard bearings, I'd get them from somewhere else, if needed, gears are custom though.

Advice from hardinge was to use Mobil SHC626 for the gearbox, got it from the local Mobil distributor. It takes about 5-6 liters but 20L canister is the smallest they make, got it for around €200.

My main problem was with the spindle drive. It went max speed all of a sudden despite the input and did not slow down for gear change. Got the drive fixed by inverter.co.uk for about €1000 but the gears were damaged and now there is a serious backlash between gears.

hope this helps

Thanks for the input. I've located a source for that oil here in the U.S. and it is on its way to me as we speak. Glad to know the capacity of the gearbox as I was unable to find that info in the manual.

lampguy

Hi,

Where is the solenoid located that contains the manual spool shift? Is this the rotary actuator or is the solenoid on a pc board in the back of the machine. Been poring over the electrical schematics and am coming up dry. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Changed the oil in the gearbox (the TC-22 needed about 2.5 liters), checked the maintenance page and the shot pin is engaged. Symptoms have not changed, still making multiple attempts to change gears and it sounds normal, just doesn't kick into either high or low. Maintenance page also shows that both hi and low speed switches are off.

Thanks,

Lampguy

As you look to the machine front, on the left side of the column, is where the air comes in, though a filter and oiler and then to a bank of solenoids. There should be a plate there identfying what solenoid does what.

George

As you look to the machine front, on the left side of the column, is where the air comes in, though a filter and oiler and then to a bank of solenoids. There should be a plate there identfying what solenoid does what.

George

Quote Originally Posted by lampguy View Post
    Hi,

Where is the solenoid located that contains the manual spool shift? Is this the rotary actuator or is the solenoid on a pc board in the back of the machine. Been poring over the electrical schematics and am coming up dry. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Changed the oil in the gearbox (the TC-22 needed about 2.5 liters), checked the maintenance page and the shot pin is engaged. Symptoms have not changed, still making multiple attempts to change gears and it sounds normal, just doesn't kick into either high or low. Maintenance page also shows that both hi and low speed switches are off.

Thanks,

Lampguy
    About the oil capacity, mine took about 5L because I dismantled, brought it to the ground and let it run dry upside down. I needed to change the lower transmission bearings, so I had to strip it down anyway. I cleaned it thoroughly and there was quite a lot of thick dirt in the bottom, under the rotac. You only get half the oil out the normal way. Sorry for my vague answer the first time.

My TC-2G has two reed switches on top of the actuator, on one side of the gearbox. One of them should light up if the pinion along with the rotac has rotated fully. The shot pin cannot engage if it has not reached the end position. You could try moving the reed switches a bit, theres a spot on the actuator pinion which normally makes either of the switches light up when rotating close enough. The machine must be powered on, obviously. If they do not react in any position, you should check the cabes and the connector attached to the reed switches. My machine has all the wires numbered, so it's not too hard to find the cable with the same number in the back.

Good luck