587,480 active members*
3,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Torn between 3 lathes. HELP!
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Torn between 3 lathes. HELP!

I ended up buying McMaster part number: 6253K91 - 36.89
    Hardened Precision 440C Stainless Steel Shaft, 1" Diameter, 6" Length

I have no idea why... but I am considering the G4003. Go big or go home I hear?

From the cursory glance I gave the G4003 I think it would be a versatile lathe. Gap bed, D1-4 Spindle nose w/ 1-7/16" spindle bore, hardened bed, power cross feed! Although its got a limited speed range(vs variable speed BLDC motor) and a slow top speed, takes 220V, and at 800lbs+ could be a hassle to move around. Isn't your shop in your basement?

My father has the 4003G. Really a pretty nice little lathe. 1st 2 motors were bad, vibrated like crazy. Third one was nice and smooth. My .0002/12inch level showed the bed to be very flat, within .0005 over the entire bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizbaa View Post
    From the cursory glance I gave the G4003 I think it would be a versatile lathe. Gap bed, D1-4 Spindle nose w/ 1-7/16" spindle bore, hardened bed, power cross feed! Although its got a limited speed range(vs variable speed BLDC motor) and a slow top speed, takes 220V, and at 800lbs+ could be a hassle to move around. Isn't your shop in your basement?
    Yup, but my garage goes right into the basement, and the rest of the living space is above. I already have the desk built, I just have to figure out a way to get it from my jeep, on to the desk. I am thinking of building a temporary cart out of a crapload of 2x4's. Slide it out of the truck onto the rolling cart, and right onto the table.

Not sure the speeds will be to much of an issue vs variable, since I don't even really know what I am doing with the thing. I just know the first time I am going to want to turn a large project I will be happy that I have the ability to do so.

After visiting the Grizzly tool place last week, I decided on the G4003.

Then after pondering it for another week,...I said if I am only going to buy 1 lathe in my lifetime... and its a 12x36... screw it, buy the best one... and I bought the G0750G.

Thats how you solve that problem. Just buy the biggest baddest one in its class & don't look back.

Exclamation Re: Torn between 3 lathes. HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by nateman_doo View Post
    After visiting the Grizzly tool place last week, I decided on the G4003.

Then after pondering it for another week,...I said if I am only going to buy 1 lathe in my lifetime... and its a 12x36... screw it, buy the best one... and I bought the G0750G.

Thats how you solve that problem. Just buy the biggest baddest one in its class & don't look back.

HI,

I think I am to late here over a year hah,,,,, hopefully somebody in the room!

did you convert the G0750G to CNC?

I am exactly in your situation now.... in between G0602, PM 10x30V, or G4003!

I am so confused as each one of these it got something I DON'T like

G0602 has threaded spindle but short Bed length.... still short ..... the spindle run-out I heard is .0005 which is Ok, there is ready CNC kit for it! finally price $1470 shipped with QCTP total convert will be under $4000
    PM 10x30V good secured chuck, long bed, perfect spindle length that allow to use my Sb9" drew bar and 3C collets, spindle run-out .001 (not good), no CNC kit for it yet! finally price at $2130 shipped comes with QCTP total convert will be around 4500

g4003 perfect spindle mount, long bed, Can't use my Sb9" 3c collets with it so that a loss, spindle run-out is perfect .0002, very heavy (little just little problem for me), Big (little problem too) , no CNC kit made for it yet finally price at $3050 total convert will be around $5400

I am comparing these lathes for CNC conversion so I didn't care about the QCGB or power feed...

also all these lathes should receive a VFD and 3 phase motor so I didn't look into any of these motors!

still confusing about (order)... I know to mill a CNC kit will be problem for new machinist like me,

any help will appreciate!
    Oz

Page 2 of 2 12