587,772 active members*
3,490 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > UCCNC Control Software > Tool path position is not accurate after loading the file

Tool path position is not accurate after loading the file

Hello,

I am having an issue with UCCNC after loading a tool path saved from VCarve. When I save from VCarve, everything looks as I'd like. However after loading the file into UCCNC, the tool path position in the preview is not accurate. My test job is a piece of square material with a square pocket cut directly out of the center. UCCNC shows the pocket in the top right of the work space. I have attached screenshots of both. I am very new to this, so please let me know if there is additional information I need to provide to explain the issue I am experiencing better, or if you have any ideas that would help me get back in the right track. Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you in advance.

Machine: Stepcraft 840
    Tool path file type: Mach 2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt)

Re: Tool path position is not accurate after loading the file

I advice you to check your g-code and compare codes and coordinates to see what the issue is.

Will do. The odd thing is that UCCNC came with an example file for me to load and cut which worked flawlessly. I only see the issue with tool paths that I create.

As said check your g-code file, the toolpath is just a visual representation of that.

I would imagine it's an origin offset in vcarve.. If you could include a screenshot of your material setup dialogue in vcarve that would be helpful..
    Mark

What Mark said,

Your origin in Vcarve is lower left and the only machining you're doing is in the middle of the job. If you were to add a profile cut around the outside, the pocket would be in the middle of the toolpath preview.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Still going through the G Code, but here is a screenshot of the Material Setup within VCarve in the meantime. Thank you for the suggestions and quick responses!

Yea, it's exactly what Mark originally said. The toolpath preview only shows the toolpath as described in the G-code. The code starts at the origin (a quirk of Vcarve, it always moves to 0,0,Z-clearance plane at the start of a program) and ends in the top right corner of the pocket. Because there's no toolpath above or to the right of the pocket, there's nothing to show. No need for concern, everything is as it should be. If you load that into Mach 3 it will look identical.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Mark, Andy, OlfCNC...

Thank you all so much. I will give this a shot shortly and will post back with the results. I really appreciate it!

Hello all, just an update - everything cut exactly as expected. Thanks again for the suggestions and assistance!