587,098 active members*
6,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > tool in magazine ? osp p200l

tool in magazine ? osp p200l

hi guys,
    I'm working on Multus osp p200l
    currently is there a way to know if a tool(tool number) is mounted in magazine
    by programming?
    thank's.

Yeah, check a system variable.
    It's something like VATOL or VETLN.
    I'm not 100% on that address, but it should be something like that. Probably listed in your P200L operation manual. I'm pretty sure that's where the mill ones are so I assume the lathe ones are too. if not there, at the end of the programming manual.
    Look for system variables.
    Your code would look like

IF[VETLN EQ 71] NSKP1
    TL= (all your tool change stuff)
    NSKP1

So if tool 71 is in the B axis head, don't do a tool change, but skip to line NSKP1

what I want is to know if the tool is in Magazine(ATC)!

there is a page with tool number <-> magazine pot table. Sure, it is set by human. Once you want to check the pot if the tool is not removed you need to take a look into the magazine.

You should have a "Tool Set" page where offsets are stored, look deeper in this area.

You will have an area where you can display sequentially by tool # what tool is loaded in what pot... or by pot # and what tool is loaded into it

Re: tool in magazine ? osp p200l

I know this is an old thread but what I want to know in what the OP asked. Is there a way for the program to read if a tool is physically in the magazine and not just assigned to the pot? I know you can check if the tool is assigned to a pot but I haven't found a way to check if it there.
    FYI we have horizontal's with Matrix magazines and p200/p300 control panels.

Is there a way for the program to read if a tool is physically in the magazine and not just assigned to the pot?
    hy please, why do you need this ?

I know you can check if the tool is assigned to a pot ...
    why would you check this ?

i don't know exactly what you wish, so i will write this ; maybe you will find something usefull :

there is the "tool registry table" :
    ... you can fill it up
    ... you can create new fields just going to the "tools list" , click an "empty pot" and " assign insert " ; those are not real labels, i wrote them only to suggest the idea

so, all tools are in the "tool registry table"
    some of them are declared also in "tools list", but no more than the magazine capacity
    if none is declared, than magazine is empty ( theoretical )
    so far is magazine "virtual setup" which may be different than "real setup"

in some/most cases you may work if those setups "virtual" and "real" are not the same; to work like this all required tools = real tools, must be also virtualy declared

so you may work without worries if empty pots are declared with virtual tools, as long as you don't call an empty pot this should not happen if you take in consideration the above blue text however, you should be carefull : if a virtual tool is called, thus you think there is one, than machine will clamp nothing, won't move and you may receive no error; i never encounter a case where a lathe should not display an alarm, but on mills there are some cases that are handled "quietly", thus no errors are displayed

well, also you may wish to empty the spindle, and the swing arm to come back with a real tool that is not virtually declared : in this case, some say that the spindle won't clamp it, so it may fall : i suggest to check this particular case and i hope that your spindle clamps "real tools that are not declared", because otherwise you should be more carefull ... is this your case ?

that being said, i will reload :

Is there a way for the program to read if a tool is physically in the magazine and not just assigned to the pot?
    machine may not move after the clamp command, and in this case operator must inspect the magazine

machine may move after the clamp command, and in this case you may check it's length : if there is none, than the measuring process should display an error

if it does not throw an error this may mean :
    ... that there is a tool ... any tool, not the one that you wish for > again, operator inspection is required here
    ... spindle crashed into table > verify this particular case

if it displays an error, than spindle has travelled too much, and maybe you wish to short the duration, thus to shorten the travel of the spindle; this means that you must adopt a minimal length for the tool, and once the spindle traveled over this value, machine should stop > you must edit the measuring program ; kindly !
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

hy, taking tools out of the magazine and puting them back in @ other pots is common behaviour ... maybe this is your case

you may check this by using a promity senzor in the magazine ( one must put it there ), and a "detection procedure (=dp)"
    ...1) if lots of parts are to be crafted, than before begining, call each tool, one by one, without arm swing, and run "dp"
    ...2) on single parts, "dp" is required for each arm swing

in case 1) you just index the magazine and check ... this can be done by code, but still, you need to comunicate with the senzor
    in case 2) since this will run at every swing, you must edit a tool change macro to acomplish that

I know this is an old thread but what I want to know in what the OP asked
    i would ask the op why he wants that ... there are cnc's that check tools, generaly with aftermarket senzors, but this is the case when cnc's are running on their own, without operators, thus chances that "virtual setup" <> "real setup" are excluded / at least minimized

try no to fix that if it is not required / kindly !

ps : why do you need this anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    ps : why do you need this anyway ?
    I'll remember this reply for the silly / inane questions you pose

hy, taking tools out of the magazine and puting them back in @ other pots is common behaviour ... maybe this is your case ( not common as it leads to BIG mistakes )

you may check this by using a promity senzor in the magazine ( one must put it there ), and a "detection procedure (=dp)"
    ...1) if lots of parts are to be crafted, than before begining, call each tool, one by one, without arm swing, and run "dp"
    ...2) on single parts, "dp" is required for each arm swing

in case 1) you just index the magazine and check ... this can be done by code, but still, you need to comunicate with the senzor
    in case 2) since this will run at every swing, you must edit a tool change macro to acomplish that

NO..... using a sensor to say that you have the tool loaded is another BIG mistake...... T15=25mm 5D U'drill loaded.... I need T15= 10mm ballnose
    (....sensor says T15 is there in Pot 2 ,...... just push da green button........er, sorry boss you need to buy a new U'Drill )

Only way around this is to have some sort of dedicated tool numbering system
    ie
    T1-T50 are Turning tools
    T51-T100 are Drills
    T101-T120 Endmills .... the limit depends on the maximum number of offsets the control has
    - This way if a tool is not in the magazine, it would only alarm. If the incorrect size tool is loaded.... the tool would only need exchanging in that holder

Another method is to remove all tools from the magazine, only load those needed for the next job........safest method.....but you still need to set the tool's offsets

there is a method that avoids mistakes, by scaning ( 3D ) or capturing images ( 2D ) and analyzing the result, almost in real time

however, i don't find it apropiate for this case, but i only suggest that the one that is running the machine to be more carefull

is good to know why rdhoggattjr needs this, so to give an apropiate answer

I'll remember this reply for the silly / insane questions you pose
    is good to have memories you may tell a good "made up" story to children, before sleep

Quote Originally Posted by rdhoggattjr View Post
    I know you can check if the tool is assigned to a pot but I haven't found a way to check if it there..
    There is not a way to check it if it is there other than looking at the assigned value in the register. However, there is a parameter that determines whether or not the tool present check is made when it is loaded into the spindle. At that time a prox switch checks to see if the tool is present or not and parameter setting will determine to stop or continue.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

There is not a way to check it if it is there other than looking at the assigned value in the register
    senzor ( optics ) systems are used on cncs without operators to check if tools are broken, or if they must be cleaned; this reduces stress on cnc superviser, so he may use his resources to deliver better parts, and not staying always sharp at each operation

if the cnc has a tool register or not, is volatile ... does not matter

however using such a system only for detecting the tool presence is a bit 2 much

I'll remember this reply for the silly / insane questions you pose
    is good to have memories you may tell a good "made up" story to children, before sleep
    Why did you change the spelling ? ..... I didn't have an S in there

I said INANE ........ Google search meaning

my dex is limited ...