587,830 active members*
2,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool height logic

Hi, this seems a great forum, with some very helpful people. Just shows that most/some, of us world citizens, are nice folk.
    We are retrofitting our Cincinnati machining centre, with a 24 tool carousel. Setting tool changing has not been a problem and it takes the shortest route to get tools. It's been a long project and we have only spent the time we could afford on it, rather than full on until working. It seems now just about done, but I am struggling with the logic of setting the position of the part and the tool height. To experiment, I have set a few tools to a given height off the table and these values are going into the tool height set box OK. I have then set an imaginary X, Y, Z zero position, using the preset buttons. By experiment with simple programs, changing the tool number in the same program, it seems that when I get a tool using the T? M06 command, it automatically applies the tool height compensation. Question 1, as such why is there a G43 H?, in programs generated in the fanuc processor? The next Question, is what is the best logic to use for part set up. Fanuc calls for a G54, but the preset buttons only seem to set the read out to zero, they do not set these into G54, should they? Also I am getting various results pressing the Z preset, the first time it went to zero. A second time after running a program with a Z-50. command in, the preset button put in a -50. and another time something else came up. I am really stuck for some sort of logic to apply to this. Could someone please give me an example of how best to approach this? Do I use G43 and G54, or use the atomatic compensation with M06 and the preset buttons?
    All help and ideas will be much appreciated, Regards, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Also I am getting various results pressing the Z preset, the first time it went to zero. A second time after running a program with a Z-50. command in, the preset button put in a -50. and another time something else came up. I am really stuck for some sort of logic to apply to this. Could someone please give me an example of how best to approach this?
    I'll just pick one little part to try to help a little on. First, I'm assuming you have this code in your Mcodes: (Remember Camsoft is fully configurable and you may have something else)

HOMEX \80
    -----M112
    HOMEY \80
    -----M113
    HOMEZ \80
    -----M114

And you need to look in your design operator interface in CNCSETUP to make sure your Preset buttons run these Mcodes.

Investigate the Camsoft variable watchbox feature to see when variable \80 is being changed. Also use the search for variable feature to see where all \80 is being used. Don't try to understand every bit of logic, just get a feel for where the variable might be changing values.

In my control \80 is set to zero on machine startup. So, anytime a Preset button is pressed the value for that axis is set to zero. I found a statement; \80={t-\80} in search for variables, which tells me variable 80 is being assigned a new value when you change tools. IF YOUR CONTROL HAS THE SAME LOGIC, investigate your watchbox and see if you can make sence of what's happening on your preset buttons.

Once you've figured out all you can on one item, write the great folks at camsoft an email. Those guys are GREAT, they've forgot more than I'll ever learn.

Karl

Thought I'd stop back by on this thread. I'm surprised you didn't get a bunch more responses...

I'll add one more feature for you to look at. When ever you're in diagnostics mode, the there's a file written called log.fil that has every command that Camsoft executed. If you can recreate the logic that's not running the way you want, you have a file showing exactly how it happened.

I'd also suggest you change your thinking about the problem slightly. Decide how you want the control to behave, then re-program it to do your bidding. That's the beauty of Camsoft.

Karl

Colin,

When using CamSoft on a machining center you should put a TOOLPARAMETERS OFF (check syntax) in the start up file. When you call M6 T# it is better to put the tool in the spindle up first before appling the offset for the next tool (as you may have allready found out.)

Darek