587,406 active members*
3,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TM-2 questions

I just bought a new TM-2. My old Heidenhain TNC145 finally crapped out so I had to take the plunge. Anyway is there a way to disable the saftey switch or at least make it so that I only have to hold it to get the program running?

Cool safety switch

very simple. press the settings button, type in 51 search (arrow down) press right arrow key changes setting to (on) press enter key. this will override the safety switch.

jeff

any questions on the tm2 let me know . i will be glad to help
    jeff

Thanks Jeff. You'll be sorry you offered help with the TM-2 controller ;-) As I mentioned I have graduated from the old Heidenhain TNC145 control to the TM-2. The Heidenhain was all conversational so I have to relearn g-codes. I'm afraid I have quite a steep learning curve ahead of me. I took a class back in 1996 for Mastercam but I haven't used it since. Do you use Matercam or similar software?

yes i have used mastercam,bobcad, others. they work well if you have a need for them. the haas control is very user friendly and has fairly good drilling, tapping, pocket milling cycle.threading.ect for most of your basic needs. dont see a need for cad cam software unless you are doing serious milling. if you would like my email address i would be glad to help you in any way i can. we have 3 haas machines so i am pretty familiar with the controls.

I use Mastercam X2 and I had my post fixed with a g4 p1. to allow the coolant to hit the tool before it cuts. I like my TM-2 but I wish I would have bought a real machining center. The machine cuts good but, if you cut a lot of stainless or tool steel, it reaches it limits very quickly. I was going to use the quick code, but it is very limited, the Hurco would be alot better machine if you dont use a cam system.

Cool Another helper if needed

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekh View Post
    Thanks Jeff. You'll be sorry you offered help with the TM-2 controller ;-) As I mentioned I have graduated from the old Heidenhain TNC145 control to the TM-2. The Heidenhain was all conversational so I have to relearn g-codes. I'm afraid I have quite a steep learning curve ahead of me. I took a class back in 1996 for Mastercam but I haven't used it since. Do you use Matercam or similar software?
    Hi Zeekh

I have a TM-2 as well. I just purchased it. We run Haas Minimills and a VF3 with 4th and 5th axis options. The TM-2 is a good machine for our shop. We needed a machine that was open and more accessible then the macining centers. It is great for odd shaped parts. We also have a 4th axis 5C collet dividing head on it. With programming we use BobCadCam and G-code on the machine. Any questions on this ask away.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff@or View Post
    very simple. press the settings button, type in 51 search (arrow down) press right arrow key changes setting to (on) press enter key. this will override the safety switch.

jeff
    Is there a way to make that a perm change? One of our TM-1s has a saftey switch and I have to change it daily after start up.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Shotout View Post
    Is there a way to make that a perm change? One of our TM-1s has a saftey switch and I have to change it daily after start up.
    I think the answer to this is no. It is a liability issue; after the machine has wound you around one of the handwheels while it is running a program and you are missing body parts Haas needs to be able to show that you were the person who put the machine in an unsafe condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I think the answer to this is no. It is a liability issue; after the machine has wound you around one of the handwheels while it is running a program and you are missing body parts Haas needs to be able to show that you were the person who put the machine in an unsafe condition.
    I'm not sure if I should be insulted or not
    Only one of our machines has it installed, the other, newer by 6 months, doesn't have one. As you seem to be rather familiar with the Haas'es do you know if it was an option? The older machine was manufactured 11-01 and the one without was made 5-02.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Don't feel insulted, it was just a graphic description to match the pictures Haas puts on their machine showing bits of fingers flying off cutting tools

I am puzzled when you say one machine has one and the other doesn't; in other words one of your TMs can be run just like a regular enclosed machine? I wanted to get a TM that could be run unattended and was told it was not possible.

On my TL-1 I made a jumper for the plug where the Deadman switch is connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Don't feel insulted, it was just a graphic description to match the pictures Haas puts on their machine showing bits of fingers flying off cutting tools

I am puzzled when you say one machine has one and the other doesn't; in other words one of your TMs can be run just like a regular enclosed machine? I wanted to get a TM that could be run unattended and was told it was not possible.
    On the body parts, since recently joining this profession I've noticed I check the fingers of the machinist I've met, and take heart that most of them have the right number of complete fingers! Long story short many times roping I've realized a couple of mine appear to be just a wee bit too long and I figure I might just possibly trim them to size one day, unintentionally of course since I've tried enough to do it roping. Seriously I take shop safety to heart though, all joke aside. <-- for any safety police who might read this

Safety switch. That is correct. The machine is an open design but doesn't have a saftey switch installed. Where the safety switch should be there is what appears to be a factory installed cover, polished black plastic snap in type of cover. On the controller were the hanger should be there is nothing, not even tapped holes filed with cap screws. Our shop runs TM-1's not -2's if that makes a difference.
    When I started I had worked on a MiniMill and a Cinncinatti Arrow 1250 milling center at school and didn't know they still made open machines. I had seen them in text books but figured the lawyers and the saftey police had made that a thing of the past. Later I got to thinking about the difference and started checking things out. Setting 51 is set to on, just like the other machine, or an enclosed machine. It is appearently mechanically disabled in the controller, jumped or something I assume. I asked the company production manager about the machine controller. He said other than a monitor on one machine (he couldn't remember which) and a floppy drive it is as it was origional from the factory. To be completely honest I didn't know that was a safety switch until I tried to run my first program on it and the error msg came up. This is my first machinist job so I'm still looking for the ropes so I can learn them. I pulled out the manual then because I assumed there had to be a way to disable it. I'm expected to keep both mills and the Mazak lathe running all day, like the previous guy, so I knew I had to do something and there was something do be done.

Scott
    Mark Twain

Switch clip

Being new to cnc machining I often find myself with a deathgrip on the safety switch. For those times that I feel brave I lock the button down with a clip bent out of sheet metal.