587,499 active members*
4,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thinking about a VM-3

Well my 2000 Cincinnati Arrow 750 is getting a little tired and I'm looking at a VM3 as a replacement. My Arrow has linear scales and I've never had to adjust for backlash - but it has single anchored ball screws. Where as the VM3 has pretensioned double anchored ball screws. Should I bother with scales? Definitely getting the touch probes.

Any other input greatly welcomed regarding general machine impressions.

Thanks
    JP

Scales if you need to hold very tight tolerances.
    The VM3 is a good machine. It has the 12k spindle with 6mm pitch ballscrews instead of the SS models which have the 12mm pitch screws. The machine cut finish, in some cases, seems to be better with the 6mm pitch screws in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    Scales if you need to hold very tight tolerances.
    The VM3 is a good machine. It has the 12k spindle with 6mm pitch ballscrews instead of the SS models which have the 12mm pitch screws. The machine cut finish, in some cases, seems to be better with the 6mm pitch screws in my opinion.
    I like my VM-3

Rigiity Sucks but for 3D surfacing it does good ....

I've wanted to buy my own VM-3 for a few years now...can't afford it, but if I had my pick of the Haas line (and I wanted a verticle mill), that'd be my first choice, a VM-3 with probes, the auto air gun and TSC...everything else is standard. I don't think you need scales.

factory clearance

check the factory clearance prices, major discounts and several VF3's were on the list

I have personally worked on Haas machines for about 15 years now. Wear is usually not an issue with them due to the specs when built at the factory. I have also lasered a few with unbelievable results. The VM3 is a well built machine with all the speed where needed. The 6mm ballscrews leave a very nice finish as well. Bang for the buck, probably one of the best machines out there in it's respective category. I will leave the scale decission on you. They do however work extremely well for positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by machinetoolguy View Post
    I have personally worked on Haas machines for about 15 years now. Wear is usually not an issue with them due to the specs when built at the factory. I have also lasered a few with unbelievable results. The VM3 is a well built machine with all the speed where needed. The 6mm ballscrews leave a very nice finish as well. Bang for the buck, probably one of the best machines out there in it's respective category. I will leave the scale decission on you. They do however work extremely well for positioning.
    I agree with you about the scales...but what I've seen from some studies we've done here with a third party at the HFO...the machines are great anyways. If you're REALLY after a very high true position tolerance, anchor the machine to the floor and shoot it with lasers and spend some time in the comp tables. The third party we work with here has done a few now, one is a customer of ours running their machine 24/7. They went in a year later and checked it, and it performed exactly the same as it did a year ago when they first lasered and comp'd it.

Quote Originally Posted by PinnacleMachine View Post
    Well my 2000 Cincinnati Arrow 750 is getting a little tired and I'm looking at a VM3 as a replacement. My Arrow has linear scales and I've never had to adjust for backlash - but it has single anchored ball screws. Where as the VM3 has pretensioned double anchored ball screws. Should I bother with scales? Definitely getting the touch probes.

Any other input greatly welcomed regarding general machine impressions.

Thanks
    JP
    Are you sure the screws are pretensioned? Double anchored I've seen in the haas brochures, but one end is just keeping the screw from whipping, there is no thrust bearing. The screws are also only single nut screws. I like the Haas machines but they could use a High Performance version with some of the new technology their competitors are using.

2008 Haas VM3 for sale

I just picked up a like new 2008 VM3 with forth axis.

let meknow if you need one.

847 490 7543
    Joe T
    [email protected]