587,840 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Terminology question

“Swing” or “swing over” on a mill = distance between spindle and column?

Thanks

Usually, it's twice the distance between the spindle centerline and the column. For instance, a 12" swing would indicate 6" between the spindle centerline and the column.

Well I've never head of 'swing' used in relationship to a Mill. Swing is always referred to as the maximum size that a lathe can 'swing' over the carriage, etc.

On a mill and every VMC that I've seen.....'swing' is never used...it's always distance from spindle centerline to column....

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Well I've never head of 'swing' used in relationship to a Mill. Swing is always referred to as the maximum size that a lathe can 'swing' over the carriage, etc.

On a mill and every VMC that I've seen.....'swing' is never used...it's always distance from spindle centerline to column....

Grizzly uses the term in the description for a mill I was looking at:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0463

So does harborfreight:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44991

The X2 and X3 are the mills I have been looking at and maybe swing is a term used for some reason to describe these mills in this particular case?

Thanks for the help.

I agree with Viper - swing is usually related to lathes, not mills - at least in my experience.

I think this is a classic case of "Chinglish" that has been inherited by the tight knit group of foriegn suppliers. They make lathes, they make mills - why not use the same terminology?

In this context, I would have to agree that the swing indicates twice the maximum from center of spindle to the column. I'll agree with that as the dimensions seem correct.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

The term I'm familiar with for distance between spindle centerline and column on a vertical mill is "throat". On a horizontal mill it is usually described as spindle C/L to table min.-max. This can also be the case for a vertical mill with a moveable ram, min. throat, max. throat.
    DZASTR

Thanks, that helps clear things up.