586,047 active members*
3,830 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Tapered hole - how to drill/route without a reamer?

Tapered hole - how to drill/route without a reamer?

I have a few small tapered holes I need to route, but as it's not a job I'll be doing often I don't want to purchase a tapered reamer, I'd rather do it with a small router bit in several passes

However I cannot seem to find a Camworks feature that will allow this, any suggestions?

I've tried doing a hole and clicking recognize tapers but cannot get it to work. It just profiles the hole as a straight cylinder

Re: Tapered hole - how to drill/route without a reamer?

Multi surface feature, then and a z level style tool paths.

Quote Originally Posted by jame5m28 View Post
    Multi surface feature, then and a z level style tool paths.
    I've been unable to get this to work, I keep getting the following error and don't understand how to rectify:

Toolpath not generated because there is no Contain Area or Avoid Area is larger than Contain Area

In an effort to get around this I've added an avoid area, does not fix. I've added a contain area. Does not fix. I've tried using much smaller cutter bit, does not fix. I've reduced all offsets to zero, does not fix.

You can always use a calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by demonx View Post
    I've been unable to get this to work, I keep getting the following error and don't understand how to rectify:

Toolpath not generated because there is no Contain Area or Avoid Area is larger than Contain Area

In an effort to get around this I've added an avoid area, does not fix. I've added a contain area. Does not fix. I've tried using much smaller cutter bit, does not fix. I've reduced all offsets to zero, does not fix.
    That should be a pretty straight forward multi surface tool path. I would chose Legacy finish mill, Z-level, and Face if I were doing that. I don't think you need to apply an Avoid Area or Contain Area. You may be having an issue with tool path "resolution." I'm not at work so I don't remember what Camworks calls that. I almost always use .0001 to get the most accurate tool path. Let us know if you are still having difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvdog42 View Post
    That should be a pretty straight forward multi surface tool path. I would chose Legacy finish mill, Z-level, and Face if I were doing that. I don't think you need to apply an Avoid Area or Contain Area. You may be having an issue with tool path "resolution." I'm not at work so I don't remember what Camworks calls that. I almost always use .0001 to get the most accurate tool path. Let us know if you are still having difficulty.
    Thanks for the reply

I'll have another look at it tomorrow when I'm near CamWorks.

Cheers

Thanks heaps for the reply, I was able to get your steps to work, I did have to replace the "face" with "core" and select "with cavities", but yes, I finally have managed to get a tool path to fit these tapered holes

CamWorks is simple once you understand how it works, but the more time I spend on it, the more little hurdles it throws at me, but each time I'm learning from them and I'd be lost without you guys, so thanks again!

Demonx,

Using "Face" worked for me. I modeled something similar to the tapered hole you presented and applied the Z-level multi surface tool path. See below. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tapered Hole Example.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	262034

Demonx,

Using "Face" worked for me. I modeled something similar to the tapered hole you presented and applied the Z-level multi surface tool path. See below. Click on the image to enlarge it
    I'm not near a PC to check it at the moment, but I'm guessing the difference might be the tapered holes in my model are at the bottom of a slight circular untapered extrusion which is hard up against a radiused top surface, thus the tapered hole itself is not up against the face?

Not sure, but I do know the rest of your method got me there, but I had to change away from face.