587,092 active members*
3,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > SX3 Z axis won't move (4/20 Problem solved-Coupler)

SX3 Z axis won't move (4/20 Problem solved-Coupler)

Hi guys,
    This morning when I lubed the Z axis I had jogged it down and then back up a little and now the Z does not want to move. I tried powering down and restarting and the only response I notice is I see the movement indicated in Mach3 for the Z axis but no movement on the machine, and I can hear something moving but the Z axis stepper seems like it is not getting power. I guess I need to check fuses etc. but thought I would post the probelm and see if someone else can help me out. I see nothing abnormal on the diagnostics page and the X and Y axis seem to work fine. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Question Soft limits?

Has it gone past the soft limits?
    If so turn off softlimits from screen 1 an move it back into the real world.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks for the reply Neil, and what you suggested sounds like the first simple explanation for what may have happened. I will check into it today and hopefully I will be making chips right away! Thanks again!
    Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Smile I am curious.

Cheers :wave:

Hi Neil,
    I tried the turning off soft limits but the Z still does not move when I try to job it. I can hear something at the top of the Z axis that sounds like a small motor turning but the stepper motor is not powering on when I try to jog or home the Z. Both X and Y axis work fine, so maybe I will have to look for a lose wire/connection connecting the Z axis?
    Crisjh had suggested maybe a connector ferrule had come lose etc? I was real hopeful that the soft limits would do the trick but not so lucky. Any other ideas?

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Hi Neil,
    I found the problem, after checking all the bootstrap ferrules and recrimping a lot of them the machine still did not work. I looked at all the wiring and tried to check connections and all looked good but still no movement of the Z axis. I decided I would need to pull the main component box off the machine to check the ballscrew and stepper area and there I found the problem. The stepper shaft coupler had come lose and slid off the end of the ballscrew. I was hearing the motor turning but it sounded strange because it was turning freely with no load as compared to when it drives the Z axis. I'm glad to find it was something this simple, but feel sort or dumb for not being able to deduce this from the symptoms. I have some hinge on hand but decided not to add hinge to the cover today. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Now I need to get back to the machine and make some chips.
    Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I'm glad that your X3 is working. Hello Wes and Neil.

Sounds like a good place to use blue LocTite.

CR.

Coupler loose.

When I got my machine the coupler on Z was loose. :stickpoke
    This gave some backlash for free.
    Factory installation used wrong size key to tighten (not even on the flat) the coupling screws.
    I am going to make a proper split coupling when I get the time.
    I will post the drawing and the code for it, but don't expect it before Christmas.
    I intend to tilt the head to the correct helix angle and use the 4th axis as a rotary table to make a proper coupling using a slitting saw.:devious:
    It will probably infringe someone's patent, but I am no going to sell them.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Wow! How easy that sounds to make such a relatively expensive part. I'll be waiting to hear about it Neil!

CR.

Hello Xuan,
    Have not heard from you for a while.

Neil, I had noticed some variation in Z depths lately so the lose set screw helps explain several things. I have made the Gingery metal lathe, metal shaper and milling machine so if needed I would be able to utilize one of the Gingery machines for couplers etc. I don't have the 4th axis for my SX3 yet but hopefully I will be able to add one someday soon.
    Will probably do some engraving in Stainless Steel tonight or tomorrow and I'll post some pictures if I get it done.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes