587,197 active members*
2,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Suggestions Needed

Hello

I have been accepted into a 4 year university to major in manufacturing engineering, and I am trying to find work related to this field in the Santa Barbara (California) area.

I'm not new to writing resumes and cover letters, but im trying to get work in an area that often is reserved only for people with degrees so I need to present myself in a very different way than most job seekers my age.

I would like any tips on trying to get my foot into an engineering/manufacturing company's door for an internship or employment. My main goal is to learn more about and to get a taste of the manufacturing field, not so much to make money.

Many thanks to everyone!

Go to www.craigslist.com.

Problem solved.

Hey thanks for the link. It should help me in my search.

But I was more looking for tips and suggestions on how to communicate with the manufacturing industry.

For example there must be pit falls I can avoid when trying to get into a machining bushiness.

LMAO!!! Craigslist made my life easier many times.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Quote Originally Posted by clint_so View Post
    Hey thanks for the link. It should help me in my search.

But I was more looking for tips and suggestions on how to communicate with the manufacturing industry.

For example there must be pit falls I can avoid when trying to get into a machining bushiness.
    I told you:

Go to Craigslist, find manufacturing companies looking for apprentices, call them on the phone or email them.

That's how you, "communicate with the manufacturing industry"

As far as, "pit falls I can avoid when trying to get into a machining bushiness"

It's called the "school of hard knocks." Just try my suggestion.

I'm just worried because due to the almost rural area I live in, there aren't many places I can work. So I don't have many shots at my goal and I want to make every shot my best.

But you are right that I do learn best by first hand experience, so if I fail, I will learn something anyway. Thus I guess it is a win win situation for me in the end .

Indubitably my friend. And good luck.

be humble, no one likes a know-it-all as many young people in college act. let them know you are there to work and learn, and with you being in college don't forget to ask if they have some sort or tuition reimbursement program!

Just tell them what you told us. The one thing this industry needs most is people in the office that actually know how to work on the shop floor. I applaud your efforts. I'm so tired of teaching engineers how to do their job only for them to take credit for my ideas.

I'm with Matt@RFR ... tell them what you said here. Most employers want someone how wants to learn. Too many people just want the paycheck. Take anything they offer...no matter how meanial you may think it is. Most of us started sweeping floors, cleaning toilets, cleaning machines. Be persistant but not annoying. Once you get in ask questions... a lot of questions. It'll show them you are interested. Look deep inside yourself and find what you can offer them.....good luck!