587,558 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Sudden reduction in power

The basic problem I am having is that all of a sudden my machine is not able to cut through material it used to.

I've checked, cleaned and realigned everything multiple times, and I'm sure it's all lined up as best as I can. Yet it still seems like I've just suddenly lost a large percentage of the laser's power.

It is an 80W laser (redsail machine), and I'm only just getting through 4.5mm acrylic at 100% power, 10mm/sec speed.

I've also noticed the reduction in power from left side to right side of the bed more noticeable than before.

I'm concerned the tube has damage somehow? Or is it likely I'm just not getting the mirrors aligned? Or something else altogether?

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Sudden reduction in power

Quote Originally Posted by thefitz View Post
    The basic problem I am having is that all of a sudden my machine is not able to cut through material it used to.

I've checked, cleaned and realigned everything multiple times, and I'm sure it's all lined up as best as I can. Yet it still seems like I've just suddenly lost a large percentage of the laser's power.

It is an 80W laser (redsail machine), and I'm only just getting through 4.5mm acrylic at 100% power, 10mm/sec speed.

I've also noticed the reduction in power from left side to right side of the bed more noticeable than before.

I'm concerned the tube has damage somehow? Or is it likely I'm just not getting the mirrors aligned? Or something else altogether?

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated!
    It sounds like you over powered your tube You need to check your power on an ammeter some power supplies will send way to much power to the tube. On mine I have to run it at 90% power and that is equal to 100% power that my tube can handle

Before the drop in power, I could cut the same material at 55% power. I'm not keen at running it at such high power atm, it is just the only way I can get the cut to work.

Will keep investigating...

Before the drop in power, I could cut the same material at 55% power. I'm not keen at running it at such high power atm, it is just the only way I can get the cut to work.

Dear,

How long have been using the laser tube? If the laser tube is within warranty period, you should talk with the seller.

Thank you.
    Anna

Anna

Peak Glass Inc
    [email protected]

[email protected]
    www.peakofglass.com
    4635 Rue Fairway Lachine
    QC H8T 1B7
    514-409-7176
    https://www.facebook.com/Lasertube

laser tube

Dear,

How long have been using the laser tube? If the laser tube is within warranty period, you should talk with the seller.

Thank you.
    Anna

Peak Glass Inc
    [email protected]

[email protected]
    www.peakofglass.com
    4635 Rue Fairway Lachine
    QC H8T 1B7
    514-409-7176
    https://www.facebook.com/Lasertube

Have you checked the mirror alignment ? (By removing the lens and checking even the final mirror)

Does you machine have a current meter which shows the milli amps going to the tube ?

If the mirrors are in alignment, and the lenses and mirrors are clean and undamaged, then that just leaves the power supply and laser tube.
    If you have a current meter and your tube is getting the correct current, then the problem is likely to be the tube.