587,792 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Steper Motor & Driver Problem -Please Help

Steper Motor & Driver Problem -Please Help

I have a problem with my first time testing.
    The problem is the step motor. When I'm trying to move it using Mach2/3, the motor stars to sound (like music from OLD PC GAME-- It sounds all the time), and the motor moves only if I move very slow the Jostik or Mouse option, and if I move the Jostik fast, the motor just sound, but it doesn't move. After a while (30 minutes) it gets hot.
    I can make it move with continuity if I push the jostik with a very slow aceleration. (I'm talking about only using my hands and no changing the Jostik SETINGS) but the motor is very sensitive to stop.

What do I have:
    *Mach3 and Mach2, loaded in a PC AMD 1.9 GHZ with WIN XP Pro.
    *Breakout Board form PcMinMo. I'm not using the pin 1, only Pin 2,3 for X Axis. (I built it)
    *Step Motor Driver from Gueko (G212)
    *Power supply:1.1 Amp / 68Volts DC after rectification(10 Amp) and Capacitor of 1000uF. (I built it)
    *Step Motor: 7.4V - 1.3A - 180 steps/r - 6 wires

Some Configurations:

The default jumper settings on the G212 are:

1) Auto-standby current enabled (2,6 jumpered)
    2) Normal current range enabled (1,5 not jumpered)
    3) Anti-resonance enabled (3,7 not jumpered)
    4) NEMA-42 disabled (4,8 not jumpered)

5) Input option header set to 'common ground' (1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8 jumpered)
    6) Resolution set to 'full-step' (1,2 jumpered)

7) terminals 11 and 12 with a 47 k 1/4 watt resistor.

This is the Motor features
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00303.JPG  

Chivo,

Under Mach 2, i suspect mach 3 also, is the motor setup
    >config>Motor tuning

From what you describe, I think your steps/rev are too high.
    For the Superior motor pictured, i would start out at 500 and try moving the axis.

One thing to note: the motor should have some holding torque. If this is not the case, then you have a driver issue. If the motor holds, you have a Mach 2/3 issue.

See how you go with this

I just setup my unit last week and came across similar problems.
    I am going to write a post which outlines all my issues and what I did to rectify the problem.

One thing with the gecko's - make sure that you have 5 Vdc set.

I'll monitor your post if you need more help

/Michael

Mikie, don't you mean the accell and velocity settings need to be changed? The steps/rev should be correct, assuming the calculations have been done correctly.

Hang on, I am confused now, I am thinking you are talking about steps/unit in the motor tuning screen :frown:
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

probably,
    i was going from memory of the name setting.

sorry, as per above post
    /M

I have had this problem with my motors before. Go into Config>Motor Tuning and bring the velocity setting way down so the slider is just above 0. Accel should be set low also. Save these settings for each axis and close the box. Now test your motors. With the joystick at full, the motors should spin. If you cannot make the motor stall (when the shaft slips), then go back into the motor tuning box and increase the two sliders a little bit, save and test the motors again. Eventually, there should be a point where you can hold the motor shaft and the motor shaft will slip. This happens if the velocity is too high and now with your motors, it is happening at an extreme with no load on the motor. Lowering the velocity will give more torque but lower speed and higer velocity will give more speed and less torque. Also, make sure your steps per unit is set correctly, however this is probally not what is causing your problem. Look in the mach manual under motor tuning for instructions on how to calculate this.
    Jason
    http://www.shptech.com