587,491 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Step sync motor wiring

I am trying to find information on a step sync motor by Sanyo. It is an old motor so can"t find any info on there web site trying to figer out the wiring
    phases. I can find the 4-pairs but dont know how to find the correct wire combo for bipolar series or bipolar parellel. want to get some geco drivers but afraid if i hook them up just buy guessing I will blow the driver. type of motor is 103-829-1 nema 34 any info would be helpful. thanks

I have the sanyo 103-820-2, 5,5v, 1.4a, 2 deg/step. Might be similar. It is rather weak for a nema 34. If you have gecko's, try to use at least 60 volts. I'm using 30v (close to my drive's max) and I'm not satisfied. I plan to redesign the drive for 80 volts.

If your mot has 6 wires, your best choice is bipolar half winding. You don't have the parallel option. I opened up mine and changed them to bipolar parallel. This provide 40% more torque. But unless you know what you are doing, you could destroy your motor and drive.

As long as you know which 4 wires to use, you won't blow the drive. The worse that will happen is that it won't step properly. If that happens just reverse one of the coils.

The motor I have is rated at 1.7v and 4.6amps per phase with 8-wires. If a geco has only 4 screw terminals to hook up two coils, i guess i just tape up the other 4 wires and run it that way. but i wish i could figer out how to determine the coils that are next to each other, that way I could hook them up bipolar parellel, or series. but i dont know how to do that yet. I am using a control bd that has a 7474 and a 7486 that takes the step pulse and the direction pulse, and drives 4 ea tip 120 transistors.

These transistors are supposed to be rated at 10 amps that drive the coils of the motors, but I have hooked the motors up every way i can think of and still they wont
    step without skipping steps or knocking out a transistor. I considering chunking that setup and using geco drives.

Forgot to ask is it possable for me to open the motor very carefully and look at the windings and tell that way.Just a thought thanks

Since it has 1.7 volt coils, you should be able to use a single flashlight battery(ie 1.5v) to determine the correct windings. Momentarily connect the battery to one pair, and the motor should rotate to a position. Then pick another pair, and momentarily connect the battery. If the motor doesnt move, you probably have found the matching coil to the first pair. If it does move, go back to the first pair, and connect the battery to the first pair, but swap + and -. If the motor does not move, you have found a matching pair.

Jeff