587,613 active members*
3,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Starting small business - what machine to buy?

Question Starting small business - what machine to buy?

Hi folks,

I am starting a small, niche manufacturing business that will require the ability to machine a material that is similar to Corian. I am looking at a working envelope of 24" x 36" minimum (though I am open to a larger format for future growth). I want a proper spindle (not a router), need good rigidity, accuracy, and repeatability. I will likely need an automatic tool changer, and later the ability to add a 4th-axis and possibly a vacuum table (for nested parts). I am looking for a company with a solid reputation, good user support, and fair prices (I am guessing somewhere between $8000 to $15000).

One big question for me is whether to go with PC control, or a built-in controller (i.e. Laguna Tools, etc.). My understanding is that PC control is vulnerable to PC issues that can translate into ruined parts, whereas a proper controller will be a dedicated machine that won't experience such problems.

I am looking very hard at Vectric's Aspire software, as everyone seems to recommend it. Ultimately, I will return to my roots and incorporate woodworking into my business plan, but that is a secondary venture. Nevertheless, I want to be set up to be capable of 4-axis machining of everything from wood to non-ferrous metals (particularly aluminum).

I have been looking at Camaster, Shopbot, Blurrycustoms.com, Legacy CnC, and Laguna Tools. Though I continue to search.

If any of you have any suggestions as to whose machines I should take a very close look at, and why, I would be very grateful. Being in Canada, it is hard for me to go somewhere where I can see these machines first-hand (unless you know of any shows near Toronto, Ontario) so I am looking for experienced opinions from helpful folks such as you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,
    Jeff

Go to the CAMaster and Shopbot owners forums,, both have machines in Canada,, on the forums their are places you can ask and will be invited to see them in action !!

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/

CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl