587,267 active members*
3,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Starting a small business

Starting a small business

Hello everyone. I`d love some recommendations from cnczone experienced users on which machine i should buy. Here is what i need: Im starting a small business in unique candle making. Mold need to be very detailed for these candles, drilled out in industrial foam (for small amount of candles) plastic and aluminium (for larger amount). Im looking for a small scale cnc machine to drill a plug not bigger than ~ 10 cubic inches (or drilling the mold directly w/o plug in aluminium), a 5-axis i guess, but not necessarily as long as it can make very fine and detailed shapes in these materials. As you can see im total newb and i have very little knowledge about machinery itself , but im experienced in CAD.
    Thanks in advance and please do post some links about the machine you recommend

Starting a business huh. Get ready this is gonna get fun.

Hello Dileja,
    I have a small machine shop and encourage every one to start their own company. You will learn a lot about your self in the next several years so DO NOT let any one discourage you.
    I have a recommendation for a direction for you to start in. Looking back on my experience, I would recommend you get with a current candle maker. Even if it's your biggest competitor. They have the machines, finances, know how and experienced people. Focus on your customers and let the experts make the candles for you. Down the road when you are large and have a good following, then start manufacturing. This is why. You have 3 departments to a small business. 1st - sales. 2nd Manufacturing. 3rd office/purchasing dept. I spend all day looking for drill bits, sand paper, boxing orders up and next to no time talking to my customers.
    A current shop will manufacture, box and ship for you. This allows you to focus strictly on sales. Get the customers, get the product down pack and then open your own location.
    Watch out for these guys who will try to get you to sell for them/their company name. When you go to leave, your customers might view you as a bad apple or unstable and not follow you. All you did was build them up. You need your own company, own phones....
    I have spent a lot of time setting up my shop and severely neglected my customers. I was a service person not a machinist. I just want to service & sale. Ask yourself what it is that you want to do and then follow your dreams. You will have many false starts, and many more people beating your ideas down. Check out Go Daddy Founder & CEO Bob Parsons' Personal Blog this is the founder of GoDaddy.com and several other multi-million dollar companies. His video blogs are great!!!
    I didn't mean to write a book on here, just want to give some advice that they don't teach in school.

Good Luck and remember to have fun!

Aaron

Thanks for your reply, but i didn`t ask for business advice nor this is a place to discuss about it. I think i found a nice desktop 4 axis that will do the job

thanks for the info

Aaron, I found your reply helpful. I have machines, and do things with them, and get a lot of requests. I have a day job I like, so I am not looking to go whole hog at first, but your insights are valuable. This is as good a forum as any for them.

dileja, if you have found what you want and need, great. I would add that I'd pick a machine that a large user base supports (like here!). I found that just lurking, seeing what other people asked helped immensely.

I am partial to Taig machines for desktop milling. There are options all around, and it pays to look a bit before committing to a specific cad/cam package, unless you already have one. Others may have better advice for your precise application- I don't do much like what you describe. But my Taig will do what I ask of it, with a little care and love.

Browsing the forum, i found Taig to be the choice of many users, but unfortunately it is very hard find in Europe. Im gonna test some of I-mes (ICP 4015, compac 3223) machines on specific applications for this job, with light materials. Again, unfortunately that seems to be best choice amongst very few offered in this part of the world (non EU Europe). Since we`re on tight schedule with this job, im probably gonna have to go with one of I-mes machines and plastic/foam.

Quote Originally Posted by dileja View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but i didn`t ask for business advice nor this is a place to discuss about it. I think i found a nice desktop 4 axis that will do the job
    ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

FOR MILLMAN

Hi Arron.... I read you post / reply to the original Post/Request.... I'm just browsing around... I too thank you for your insights and advice, I am a small business owner a well, ( not to poke the bees nest )...but It "seems"...as though your advice was either unappreciated or unwelcomed... I say 'Seems" as..it may be a Cultural thing... rather than rudeness.. ( I always try to look for diplomacy....with a little bit of "Benefit of the doubt" thrown in for good measure. ) At any rate your advice is from experience, that you're good enough to share...and it IS good solid honest advice.... so I myself apprecaite it, and thank you for it.

Cheers

Paul
    IMACMAN

Newfoundland

Quote Originally Posted by Milliman Extrus View Post
    ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
    chill out mate, like the man said its a Cultural thing not rudeness, not that i dont appreciate your advice i just didnt ask for it.

Talking isel 3D milling

down boyz, it's cnczone not moaninzone, :cheers: try CNC Milling Machines and CNC Machines - made by isel come complete with CAD/CAM sys. and start up tooling for 3d 1/2 moulds - the're in germany - kman :rainfro::rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by kelef View Post
    down boyz, it's cnczone not moaninzone, :cheers: try CNC Milling Machines and CNC Machines - made by isel come complete with CAD/CAM sys. and start up tooling for 3d 1/2 moulds - the're in germany - kman :rainfro::rainfro:
    Thank you Kelef. Im about to test their ICP 4015 tomorrow. And maybe some other models as well.

I`ve made some models (plugs) on icp 4030 and turned out to be perfect. Machine is affordable, pretty fast with aditional software, quiet and its made in EUROPE! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: