587,781 active members*
2,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Squealing like a stuck pig.
Page 2 of 2 12

Hybrid View

More Info

Here is the link to the Wax stuff

www.miteebite.com

I'm using that because the software I'm using won't allow me just to cut the shape and the hole. I'm leaving .01 for a finish pass, 5 IPM

I've attached additional photos and the .TXT file for the part.

Thanks all for the help. This dog will hunt one day.

Smitty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill_X-2.JPG   Mock-up_#1.JPG   Mock-up_#2.JPG   Mock-up_w-1-2-3_Block.JPG  

Side_View.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'd try a new/sharp 3 flute cutter, 3/8" and 1/2".
    The 3 flutes cut down on harmonic chatter (compared to a 2 flute) without the chip confining problem with a 4 flute during full width cuts.

Whatever, but it seems to me that the squeal problem you are having is primarily due to the cutter you are using.

Pres

Yup, 3 flutes are better for a number of reasons in aluminum, I agree totally but he probably doesn't have the cash to just be blowing on extra EM's until he figures out how to make parts... You can build his part with HSS 2 or 4 flute no problemo...

I'd get a smaller cutter too but let's just get him making good parts first~

I disagree completely on you saying it's primarily the cutter, with a different setup I could cut those with either a 2 or 4 flute without any trouble or chatter... The problem is not being clamped down correctly, look at his pics... I never even had a three flute until last year and I've cut hundreds of hours without too much chatter when I take the time to setup properly...
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Well if I would have known

Quote Originally Posted by AMCjeepCJ View Post
    Yup, 3 flutes are better for a number of reasons in aluminum, I agree totally but he probably doesn't have the cash to just be blowing on extra EM's until he figures out how to make parts... You can build his part with HSS 2 or 4 flute no problemo...

I'd get a smaller cutter too but let's just get him making good parts first~

I disagree completely on you saying it's the cutter, with a different setup I could cut those with either a 2 or 4 flute without any trouble or chatter... The problem is not being clamped down correctly, look at his pics...
    If I would have known what to buy before hand I would have picked up the Three Flute types first. Oh well, you don't know what you don't know.

I can throw some cash at the problem, as long as it cures it. LOL

I have the 6 piece set from LMS 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", I picked the 1/2" for rough to get rid of all the material MESHCAM wanted to remove. You have no idea how long it would have taken with a 1/4". Jesus would have returned and it would still be only halfway though.

So for future referance only buy the Three Fluted, HSS, uncoated End Mills?

FYI - that program took 2 1/2 hours to run, ouch.

Still working on how to program the silly thing.

Smitty

Wink

I'd go with the coated 3 flute carbides, they are badass!! No comparison in my limited experience with the 3 fluters, you ought to ask others for the best ones, I only have three of them so far...

You don't need them now though, get good first because you're going to break cutters learning all this and HSS is the cheapest way to learn... You don't buy a brand new vette to teach a kid to drive do ya??

Exclamation

Oh crap!! 2 1/2 hours?! Wow!! I don't have any experience on those little mills like yours except a little guy we have that was $20,000 new... I bet yours is similar to that thing only less expensive...

I must be missing something... How in the world does it take that long to cut?? Is it trying to cut everything 3D?? I don't want to spend the time uploading your text file and converting it for my mill so that I can do a visual verification... I wish you didn't live 3,000 miles away, I'd love for you to stop at my shop for an afternoon just to play on the mill to get a feel for setups and such...

Also, why so many lines of code?? It's such a simple part and the geometry is about as basic as you can get... I'm not familiar with your software so I'm of no help to you there but there is waaaaaaay too much code there or that part~ you ought to go to the meshcam forum for help on that aspect of things... Leeway was right...

Geof, that's an awesome link. Thanks for finding it, I didn't know a few of the items in there.

Smile

Alrighty folks, I am awake now........carry on!!

Quote Originally Posted by toastydeath View Post
    Geof, that's an awesome link. Thanks for finding it, I didn't know a few of the items in there.
    The Piled Higher and Deeper guy doing that work also mentions that collet holders are preferred over setscrew and he downplays the hydraulic clamping collet holders. My experience, and also the experience of other posters is that setscrew holders are better; I have also looked into the hydraulic holders which allegedly give better tool life because they run truer and vibrate less and have some opinions that they are better than split collet type. In a few weeks I will know because I bought some to use in some heavy hogging of aluminum bars. The ones I have are not hydraulic but elastomeric (very viscous hydrualic fluid you could say). They are made by Schunk so you can go to their website.

I can reconcile the difference between my experience and what Dr Badrawy finds simply because I am working in a different rpm realm. He is above 15,000 rpm and mentions that this seems to be a break point; one of the graphics shows 17,000 rpm as a sweet spot and I thought I had seen 25,000 mentioned but can't seem to find it now (could be a different reference).

I do have one machine that does 15,000 rpm on which we run some parts that are roughed with a 3/4" high helix two flute fully engaged, 0.4" deep running at 10,000 rpm and 120 ipm.; this gives a spindle load of about 90% and makes a lot of noise. I don't really characterize the noise as chatter but there could be a high frequency component that is not audibly detectable. I have taken this cut up to 14,000 rpm and 140 ipm using the overrides but my spindle load goes to 120% and the noise becomes unbearable; think jet airplane taking off.

Unfortunately the roughing with the Schunk holder will probably not be done on this machine because it is fitted with a rotary not vises, so I will only be using 10,000 rpm. I do have a big gantry machine that runs 15,000 rpm but any results on that are not comparable because it is such a different style of construction.

I find this stuff interesting even though I do not really have any direct application. The only reason I am going to be doing this heavy roughing soon is because I need a particular bar profile and have not had time to get a custom extrusion done. It is not likely I will do it again; turning about 60% of the material into chips before starting to make the part is not cost effective.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

If you want to try 3 flute cutters I was just looking through my J&L Industrial catalog and they have 3 flute HSS from $15 and Carbide from about $35. They are name brands like Kennametal and Niagara. They also have alum. specific high helix bits in 3 flute. Example Kennametal 3 flute 30 degree helix centercutting single end 3/8" coated carbide $27.13. 3 flute Hertel HSS centercutting single end 3/8" uncoated $15.44.

I did buy some 1/8" 3 flute cutters from 800Watt on Ebay. As mentioned, they are great for light easy machining. Also good when learning your feeds and speeds. These were a little over $1 each when including shipping. I still have about half of these little guys left. I snapped the others with too high of feeds. Just 1/8" though. I have snapped high dollar 1/8" end mills too for the same reason.

I liked these so much I ordered some in 3/16" as well. I still have some higher quality US made end mills, but won't use those until all my Gcodes are fine tuned.
    This little video is using one of these 1/8" 3 flutes from 800Watt. My camera no longer records sound for some reason, so I have to add music.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRaXnqlxKQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRaXnqlxKQ[/ame]
    Lee

Update,

My Fog Buster unit should be here in a few minutes. That will take me a little while to get it set up. I have included a PDF of the silly little part I'm attempting to make.

This is like my Golf Game, 119 bad shots and the one good shot will keep me playing.

AMC,

Thanks for the link to Dr. Pepper, I ordered two cases of the GLASS Bottles. Wife just called and asked what the $81.00 was for. LOL

Smitty
    Attached Files Attached Files

Exclamation

Whoa!! That is the highest scrap rate on record I'd venture to guess!!

Good luck with that

We'll have to get Geof to use his big ole' calculator to give us the exact percentage but less than 1% is pretty stinkin' low!! I shoot for at least 6.4% good parts or I sub it out

HOLY CRAP $81 for pop in a bottle, roflmao... Dude, who you trying to kid, you can afford any cutters you want!! (chair):wave:

The Dr. Pepper arrived

AMC,

The Dr. Pepper arrived by UPS today, 2 cases, is that enough to brib you into stopping by California? It should be cold in an hour.

I figured out some of the issues, I am attempting to redo the tool path using Dolphin and some go around commands.

Well see, how it goes. I have enough material to start testing cut depth and speed now, so maybe this weekend I can run the programs Hoss e-mailed me and post those results.

I ordered some three Flute cutters from 800watts to play with. They should be here in a week and than I'll rerun the speed test.

Smitty

If you are interested in getting some good 3 flute mills J&L Industrial that I quoted prices on earlier has a 35% off sale going on just on end mills.

Hoss is a member on here. He has designed up CNC plans for the X2's and ATC and alot of other items. He seems to be real knowledgable on the unit. He has helped me and others out countless times check out his site. www.hossmachine.com.

Page 2 of 2 12