587,495 active members*
3,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sprutcam product level question

For those of you who purchased SC with your 770/1100.... What features are enabled? According to the Sprutcam product table, Pro is the everything version with 4th and 5th axis milling, lathe, etc..... Is that all unlocked with the $992 version Tormach is offering? I think it is, but it was questioned in another thread... I have not purchased yet so I have no way to know.

The version I purchased from Tormach had all modes enabled. I believe they sell a Tormach posts version and an all posts version for a bit more.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    The version I purchased from Tormach had all modes enabled. I believe they sell a Tormach posts version and an all posts version for a bit more.

David
    Thanks! That is what I thought (and hoped). :cheers:

Tormach sells only the top version of SC and with full functionality (as we have come to expect from Tormach, a quality supplier in all ways). Up until about mid last year, the top version was Master. Now the new Pro version is above the Master, making seven versions available!!!

And having just checked the SC website, I see they are offering SC Pro free to educational institutions. No doubt that will increase the user base and we Tormach/SC users can only benefit in the future. I wonder if Tormach had a hand in that decision.

Bevin

A follow on question - all posts vs Tormach only

Debating the extra $500 for the all posts version.....

So its technically obvious from the naming (All Posts, Tormach only) what the difference is, but is the Tormach only version somehow limited to only be able to load the Tormach post? Posts for other machines are available directly from the Sprutcam website, but does the software limit the ability to load a different post?

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    Posts for other machines are available directly from the Sprutcam website, but does the software limit the ability to load a different post?
    Yup, that's what Tormach told me when I asked the same question a few months ago. The Tormach Only version will not let you use any other post processor.

I've always used Sheetcam for my Tormach, but have a CNC lathe that I need CAM software for. Considering purchasing the All Post version so I can do both mill and lathe.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dammachines View Post
    Yup, that's what Tormach told me when I asked the same question a few months ago. The Tormach Only version will not let you use any other post processor.

I've always used Sheetcam for my Tormach, but have a CNC lathe that I need CAM software for. Considering purchasing the All Post version so I can do both mill and lathe.

Dave
    Are you sure? I was using all kinda of processors to post and test with, not just Tormach's. I was under the impression it was a full version, but if you did not own a Tormach you had to pay the higher price. I don't see why they would go through the trouble of disabling other processors as some customers may have several machines, not just a Tormach. Would be a selling point to have one CAM to support them all.

I have a feeling they meant to say they do not provide any other post-processors other than for their machines. That doesn't mean you can't get one and add it (for instance some CAM packages will provide one for you). If it is disabled would like to know for sure.

A couple years back I know Tormach sold the Tormach only version for about $1K and an all-post version for an additional $400-$500 as that is the version I bought. In SC7 it looks like the all post feature may be available in the standard version but can't answer that for sure. I know I can edit and create various posts with my version. I would hope that the standard version doesn't allow additional posts being I paid extra for that feature.
    Robert

Not to get off subject but how do you guy's like SC I use UG and Solidworks sometimes bobcad but what I am trying out is the thought of taking my shop and making it a rental type of shop anotherwords I would need a beginner cad/cam so easy it would take under 4hour learning to get going ofcourse i would supervise their entire project this way I can can the full potential of my shop I have everything needed as a complete shop. Do you guy's think SC is a good choice I just watched the videos it seems super simple compared to my regular cad/cam programs that I use. Having UG is great I use it everyday myself but trying to teach someone to use it especially a beginner would be no fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Are you sure? I was using all kinda of processors to post and test with, not just Tormach's. I was under the impression it was a full version, but if you did not own a Tormach you had to pay the higher price. I don't see why they would go through the trouble of disabling other processors as some customers may have several machines, not just a Tormach. Would be a selling point to have one CAM to support them all.

I have a feeling they meant to say they do not provide any other post-processors other than for their machines. That doesn't mean you can't get one and add it (for instance some CAM packages will provide one for you). If it is disabled would like to know for sure.
    There is a large offering in the Sprutcam site for all kinds of posts. A quick and easy test would be for a "Tormach Only" owner to grab one at random and see if it loads. I'm thinking that since Tormach is a Sprutcam retailer, maybe the difference is that they only support the Tormach post, and you pay more for having support for other posts?

Its not obvious how you could easily restrict the software to only one post....

I'll send a message to Tormach and see what they say....

As of a year ago or so, the Tormach-only version of SprutCAM used a post with a file extension that was different than the extension of the posts for the all-machines version. If you check the Tormach downloads area you will see posts for the All-Post version with an SPP extension and and those with PPL for the Tormach only version. I may be wrong, but suspect that the SprutCAM post-processor editor will not create posts with a PPL extension.

It would make sense to let people that only need a Tormach post save a few bucks by buying a license that is limited to only Tormach posts.

Mike

Tormach Only is Tormach only

Erik from Tormach confirmed this. Turns out the Tormach only version can only read an encrypted post (.ppl) and the all posts uses .spp

I will buy the all posts version as I want the ability to tweak the post if needed , and I hope to have a lathe at some point in teh near future as well, so would need to create a post for it.

Mystery solved.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Not to get off subject but how do you guy's like SC I use UG and Solidworks sometimes bobcad but what I am trying out is the thought of taking my shop and making it a rental type of shop anotherwords I would need a beginner cad/cam so easy it would take under 4hour learning to get going ofcourse i would supervise their entire project this way I can can the full potential of my shop I have everything needed as a complete shop. Do you guy's think SC is a good choice I just watched the videos it seems super simple compared to my regular cad/cam programs that I use. Having UG is great I use it everyday myself but trying to teach someone to use it especially a beginner would be no fun at all.
    I'm on the learning curve still, but I think its intuitive (compared to Anvil5K I ran 10 years ago, this is a Cadillac). The documentation may be lacking, but the video series (to me at least) largely makes up for that. It certainly wins in the "bang for the buck" category. I regret buying Alibre CAM last year(integrated Visual Mill) , as getting 4th axis capability would now cost me an additional $1200, plus the maintenance. For that amount of scratch, I get SC7, all posts, that can run basically any machine.

Are you sure? I was using all kinda of processors to post and test with, not just Tormach's.

Guess it's already been confirmed, but this is the email I received when I asked about it:

Dave, yes it is true the less expensive version of SprutCAM will only work with encrypted posts from Tormach (this is why we can offer SprutCAM at this greatly reduced price). If you have other machines to operate I would recommend getting the all-post version.

As far as I know the all post Pro version that Tormach sells will run you about twice that to buy direct. Been a while since I looked into it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dammachines View Post
    Guess it's already been confirmed, but this is the email I received when I asked about it:

Dave, yes it is true the less expensive version of SprutCAM will only work with encrypted posts from Tormach (this is why we can offer SprutCAM at this greatly reduced price). If you have other machines to operate I would recommend getting the all-post version.

As far as I know the all post Pro version that Tormach sells will run you about twice that to buy direct. Been a while since I looked into it though.
    Thanks for checking. I had planned on using SC for other CAM related projects. If I have to buy a higher priced version just to support additional processors, then I may start looking at VisualMill again and compare the prices.

Thanks for checking. I had planned on using SC for other CAM related projects. If I have to buy a higher priced version just to support additional processors, then I may start looking at VisualMill again and compare the prices.
    I think once you investigate it will be clear SC is the most bang for the $ even paying a few dollars more for the All-Post version. I went through that exercise a couple years back and there was nothing else even close in features and the responsivness of those developing the program. The documentation has been greatly improved and with the Tormach videos the learning curve has been shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    I think once you investigate it will be clear SC is the most bang for the $ even paying a few dollars more for the All-Post version. I went through that exercise a couple years back and there was nothing else even close in features and the responsivness of those developing the program. The documentation has been greatly improved and with the Tormach videos the learning curve has been shortened.
    Maybe In my real job I evaluate software and make recommendations as well as do training, so I guess it's in my nature to compare everything. generally we are not allowed to look at pricing until all the evaluations are in. Then the executives take our evaluation, throw it out the window and select the software they like But I do love my job...

Wish I could find a few CNC lathes to try for a few months and compare as well

+1

With continous 4th and 5th axis and lathe for what Tormach sells it for...

That and Tormach is now doing videos and they provide great support as well.

David

Maybe In my real job I evaluate software and make recommendations as well as do training, so I guess it's in my nature to compare everything. generally we are not allowed to look at pricing until all the evaluations are in. Then the executives take our evaluation, throw it out the window and select the software they like But I do love my job...

Wish I could find a few CNC lathes to try for a few months and compare as well
    Either you must work for a brain dead corp (as myself) or an education system which has no concept for $'s. I compare things myself before buying, but not having a cost factor in the table of items to compare just sounds crazy and a total waste of effort and time. Good luck in your selection process.

Robert

Either you must work for a brain dead corp (as myself) or an education system which has no concept for $'s. I compare things myself before buying, but not having a cost factor in the table of items to compare just sounds crazy and a total waste of effort and time. Good luck in your selection process.

Robert
    No, the cost factor is there, just not my job to worry about cost, I provide the technical evaluation.

For my own use I select software within my financial range and then do the evaluation, the winner could very well be the one that costs more. For instance Gibbs CAM is not in my evaluation

Same thing I did when looking for my Tormach. My Tormach 770 was actually one of the highest priced solution I was looking at. But the weighting factor applied to communication before the sale was actually what placed it higher... Those companies that never responded to emails requesting information quickly fell to the trash bin. And yes, the Tormach videos on SC and support is a major decision point as well...

take care...