586,058 active members*
4,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Sprut AO

Sprut AO

Couple users asked for a screen clip of how I setup ao's for multi sided parts
    This assumes you know sput well or it could confuse more then help

First I create coordinate systems for each side of part. Sprut default names are (cs1 g54) .(cs2 g55) so on

Then I create a group shown in clip below. I name it the same as the offset I want to use in this case g55
    Then below and highlighted yellow I set cs2 in this case to be used for all the following operations in that group.
    This must be done for each side of the part cs1,cs2,cs3 and so on.

Attachment 272726

Then I insert a AO after that to stop program zero out x,y,z, and aski for tool 1 for touch off.
    Note the highlighted macros inserted into a blank AO that I renamed to g55. or whatever.
    machine CS
    Local CS
    Load tl with tool 1
    Comment stating what is going on. These post for user to read on screen and follow during mill ops
    Op stop Is not needed, but I use it for sanity check. makes you hit alt-r 1 more time before it asks for next tool and operation

Attachment 272728

I have most all these types of operations saved for quick loading or in cases like this complete templates with 6 sides setup.
    Then I load part and set each coordinate for each side or offset as needed to complete the part.
    Any unused ao's or other operations I quickly delete out and Im ready to go. Takes me very little time to setup complex multi sided parts like this.

When I generate the g-code it is complete for all sides In this case six sides in 1 file and all I do is follow directions to make the part.

Note :This is more an example and setup then good practice in this case the part is symmetrical on all six sides and really only needs g-code for 1 side rinsed and repeated 6 times.

Hope this helps
    md.

Re: Sprut AO

Thanks MD, could you elaborate on how you get the vise fixture to cooperate when switching between Local CS systems?

Awesome write up. Im printing this out and putting it in my manual! I had a round part that I was hacking my way though this same process. Do you leave all the parameters set to "previous operation" i have been having trouble defining offsets and orientations in the folders and having all the operations behave them selves. Though I think a big part of my issues is i was using the angles adjustment based off the centerline of the round part was a large source of the problem. I have since made. Point to create new coordinate systems for each set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    Thanks MD, could you elaborate on how you get the vise fixture to cooperate when switching between Local CS systems?
    Thanks for kind words
    I was reviewing how I can explain this. I started a set of clips and a write up.
    This can be involved at first then after you get the hang of it its straight forward.
    Might take me a day or so to edit this and start a thread.
    md

From what I have been experimenting with I think i have come to the conclusion a good practice is to leave all the work piece setups set to global cs or all something the same and the set the workpiece cs and local cs to the same thing. I read a post somewhere that reference the local cs to be used for setting an x y zero on a hole or other feature so you could re indicate after you had machined the top side. Im still hacking away at it but made big progress since September. Now if Sprut only had a mate feature like in Solidworks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmallard450 View Post
    Awesome write up. Im printing this out and putting it in my manual! I had a round part that I was hacking my way though this same process. Do you leave all the parameters set to "previous operation"

Thanks.

Yes!
    After you set Workpiece setup, Workpiece Cs, and Local Cs "highlighted yellow in clip above" to the desired and predefined csX It works best to carefully check all groups and operations using that cs are set to "From Previous Operation" Sprut does not always default and set those 3 parameters to "From Previous Operation" and if I see something wrong that's the first thing I check. One of them will have an auto or off or some other setting that causes un desired results
    md

Md,
    I have a question for you. I have a pile of parts to make that require flipping them in the vice. Ive been pre setting multiple work offsets relative to my work stop and step jaw face and base of the vice ahead of time (ex g55-g57)
    The part that I am floundering a little is the part is 1.3" thick and I am cutting the profile out of 1.5" bar stock. Then flip it over to G55 and then face it off. I wanted to use G54 to just roughly touch off in the center of the stock. I accurately set up the work piece model and off set my coordinate system the same as my positive stock value. Its been a little finicky though. Im not sure if re zeroing on the stock face is messing with all my work offsets seeing the stock is not very accurate. I may just move the coordinate system to G55 which is the bottom of my step jaw and call it day. Do you have any suggestions on setup?

Also i was reading through the manual the other day and found (starting on page VI-23 or p.210) Im still a bit confused as to what the difference between Workpeice Cs and Local Cs. The manual seems to describe more 4 and 5 axis operations to automatically orient the z axis? Ive been using just the workpeice cs and leaving the local cs set to off.
    Thanks
    Tim

The other question i meant to ask. Is there a way to place a coordinate system on a workpeice model? Sprut Cam seems to only want to focus on the part model

Quote Originally Posted by tmallard450 View Post
    The other question i meant to ask. Is there a way to place a coordinate system on a workpeice model? Sprut Cam seems to only want to focus on the part model

Yes you can set or to any location in space using numbers entered by keyboard

I use a cage system that represents the stock and its size, This is done in cad system as construction lines and included in import of file.
    Makes locating ucs on any plane of model easy if you plan ahead when modeling the part.
    Attachment 274462
    note clip above details the and ucs g56 defined on the surface of un-milled stock. This could be entered in dialog box with numbers calculated or snapped to pre drawn lines as shown.

The other question on setup and stock is up to user I guess. I have little experience with production methods and the thousands of ways to setup a part ucs with relation to fixtures, stock and finished product to make it easy and intuitive. For me prepared stock is everything! All my cam models are setup and based on accurate stock dimensions that are square and surfaced to size,not rough material. Again this is my limited experience and I know there are many ways to do this and I have done it differently but found this to be most consistent for me at this point.
    md