587,665 active members*
4,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

split operation

Hi Guys,

Some jobs where I'm using fixtures etc need bolts fitting and removing during machining.

For example, now I'm machining a face that has holes drilled from a previous operation. After facing I need to fit bolts to the holes and tighten it to the fixture.

What I do now is put a "split" in the operation manager and name it such as "remove clamp, fit M8 bolt", just so that it's easy to see what needs to be done and when.

When I generate the G-code, I basically select all, then de-select the split and out pops all the code. I then need to go the point where I want to stop the machine and manually edit in a G28 G91 Z0 and an M00.

What I'd really like is to be able to generate the whole lot, including the "split" and the GPP file reads this and outputs the necessary code.

Example....Generate with SPLIT

Output for my Haas:

G28 G91 Z0
    G28 G91 Y0
    M00

That's what I want, anyone got any tips?

Maybe I need to read through the help files. Oh for more hours in the day!

Cheers,

Matt.

HI Matt,

I use 'split' all the time together 'machine set-up' and that allows me to have two different MAC's i.e. MAC 1, Pos 1 and MAC 2, Pos 1 for the first operation and the turn over. When I post all the ops out my post generates separate programs for the CAM jobs before and after the 'split'. Indeed, some of my parts have more than one split in them as I have to generate code for prepping the fixture and I do that as part of the CAM part to keep things nice and tidy.

If I recall, your post has to be set up to handle splits in this way. It used to be in the *.prp file (before SolidCAM 2012), but where it is now I couldn't say without looking. Also there are some settings in "SolidCAM Settings" that act upon how G code is generated when splits are employed.

If you are still stuck, send me an email and I will go digging for you.

All the best

Bob

Thanks.

I'll have a trawl through the setting etc and see what I can find.

I use split a lot, and machine set-up etc for fixtures, but I've not really looked too deep into trying to make use of it for generating the code.

I'll do some footwork first, before hassling you with emails :-)

Cheers,

Matt.