587,421 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Spindle will not start:HELP

Spindle will not start:HELP

Machine: 1999 Fadal 4020 with 15k Spindle.

The machine has sat for over a month waiting for a servo drive. I finally installed last week and set the machine up to run its first job. About 15 minutes into the cylce the spindle just stopped (Error #8 Motor Overload) and has not wanted to come on again. I have tried the following to try and figure this out:

- Cleaned sensor at spindle
    - Found a rely in the Air Pressure board out causing the AP light (low air pressure) to stay lite; changed that yet spindle does not start.
    - Checked the voltage on my AMC spindle drive, everything seems to be in order.
    - Double checked all my wires (maybe looase) on my axis cards and control board. Nothing.

I power this machine up,
    I cold start,
    I then proceed to S500M3 (and many other speeds have been tried), and the machine looks like it wants to go (I hear air going to the spindle), yet after a few seconds it kicks into to e-stop; Motor Overload.

Has anyone got any suggestions. Tomorrow I will try and swap my spindle drive, yet I am not convinced that this will help.

Help Please...

Check the belts and the high/low pulleys. Does the machine change gears? Will the spindle start in a different gear (high or low)? Can you turn the spindle by hand? If not first check that the belts did not fail and get balled up in the drives. If all of the above checks normal, then the drive, probably a Vector drive, is in for. If you replace this yourself be absoutly sure you tune the drive immediatly after install. It is very easy to do, however if not done you will toast that $5600.00 V drive.

Good Luck.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

My turret mill has like a resevoir of Spindle Oil.. if left switched on overnight all the oil falls out into the drip tray... might be that?

Apologies if this is a noob reply, but I'm new to this and just trying to help.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

sounds like the spindle driver to me. we have had two differnt machines do the same thing. repairman said the amc are not rebuildable and we had to purchase a brand new one. big money.

Raps--
    Since this is an air/oil spindle don't forget to check the upper and lower bearing pressure switches. Also the hall effects switch on the spindle magnet could be shutting you down. From what you describe, I think it would be worth time to verify all the sensors involved BEFORE you go to the expense of replacing the drive.

Neal

Thanks for all the feed back. I am still searching for the answer. We have cleaned every possible sensor we could find, we have checked all wiring, we have honed the motor. The struggle contniues.

help on spindle drive

try uptimecnc.com they will help

Quote Originally Posted by raps View Post

The machine has sat for over a month waiting for a servo drive. I finally installed last week and set the machine up to run its first job. About 15 minutes into the cylce the spindle just stopped (Error #8 Motor Overload) and has not wanted to come on again. I have tried the following to try and figure this out:

- Found a rely in the Air Pressure board out causing the AP light (low air pressure) to stay lite; changed that yet spindle does not start.
    - Double checked all my wires (maybe looase) on my axis cards and control board. Nothing.

I power this machine up,
    I cold start,
    I then proceed to S500M3 (and many other speeds have been tried), and the machine looks like it wants to go (I hear air going to the spindle), yet after a few seconds it kicks into to e-stop; Motor Overload.

Has anyone got any suggestions. Tomorrow I will try and swap my spindle drive, yet I am not convinced that this will help.

Help Please...

"Motor Overload error" tells me that a thermal overload relay is tripped (probobly in the spindle drive unit) or a loss of one phase of main power to the drive

Have you tried M3.1 instead of M3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by raps View Post

I power this machine up,
    I cold start,

Help Please...
    This might sound silly or simple, but go into your card case and make sure all the bullet connectors are plugged in.
    when ours was shipped one of the bullet connectors on card #14 came undone and I had the same errors. the spindle would try to run the we would get error #8
    the tech told me that card #14 runs the spindle something, we checked it was undone powered down plugged in and it worked fine.. well except for a new issue that we found last night something totally unrelated.

Delw

As Neil suggested, at the Enter Next Command prompt, I would type in DI then press enter, then DS and check the status of the switches. Make sure your machine is trying to shift from high to low gear when powered up, then after the CS procedure, do the DI/DS thing and check the switch status. Pay particular attention to the orientation sensor on the spindle pulley. It must be reading before the spindle spin much. The spindle will bump, read the switch and go from there. No switch input, and it will shut down and alarm for motor overload. If you want to try a drive, and all you pay is the freight, no restock, call FadalCNC.com and they will help you out. No tuning the AMP-0056 if this is what you have. Good luck.

I ben on th ephone with fadal all morning for my problem, I got some really good info on how to check certain spindle problems. I will put it all together and post it. it might help you.

You will need a 9 volt battery also .

Delw