587,421 active members*
3,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle upgrade

Hi All,

Is anyone with a homebuilt machine using anything bigger than a laminate trimmer or die grinder? I was thinking of upgrading to a porter cable router but they only seem to be available in 120VAC and the cost of a 1500W 240to120VAC transformer will pretty much double the total cost of the router.
    So what else can i use? haven't got the money to fork out for HF spindle and inverter. Is there anything as easy to mount as the porter cable available here in Aus?

Cheers
    Matt

Hi Matty,

I'm using the same that Greolt is using, Milwaulkee DG QE 30, 500watt 10,000 - 30,000 RPM Die Grinder.

I know that you said no Die Grinder's but.....
    Cheers, Bob
    http://www.ocm.com.au/wordpress/

Thanks Bob, thats actually the same unit i've got on my router. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a bigger that i can interchange for the bigger jobs.
    Cheers
    Matt

There is a range of books from the Special Interest Model Books series with one dedicated to manufacturing your own spindles.

The book is number 27 in the series and is by Harprit Sandhu. I bought it from a bookshop in Geelong over the net, I seem to recall. isbn 1-85486-149-2

The book was only about $20 and has a range of designs.

When I get access to a lathe, guess what I intend to do!

Good luck

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

You can also buy Special Interest Model Book - Spindles over the net (well at least download an order form and mail/fax it to the retailer) from Hobby Mechanics in Qld @ A$20.65. There are numerous other books in the series that may also be of interest.

Bigger Router

Hello Group

I am running a Triton 1/2" router, I bought it as it looked fairly easy to make a mount for it, most Tritons have a round " nose " that it easy to make a mount for, if you don't want to use it as a manual router then just hack off what dosen't belong.

As an example of how tough these routers are, a faulty Z axis switch failed to activate and the router was driven into the bed, note the locking pin and the burn stains on the collet and rouer base.

After that abuse you would expect it to be damaged and not working, apart from the collet being stiff it is fine. I have bought a HP spindle to fit but only because I find routers and trimmers noisy.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0252-P80.jpg  

Cool, thanks guys.

appicnc, where did you get your new spindle from? Can i ask how much you paid?

Spindle

Hello Matty

I bought it from TigerTec in the States, it is a 3HP, ER20 Collet, 0-24000rpm water cooled, 3 phase spindle, I bought a single to 3 phase inverter at the same time, all up was about US$2000.00 with another US$200.00 to get it here, I have seen sim' at Keling for less but despite several requests couldn't get a price from them ( despite being a returning customer as well ) CNCTEKNIC also have them here and have a ER11 ( I think ) on their site for AU$1375.00, with the inverter, ER11 will go to 1/4" shank, ER 20 will grip a 1/2" shank.
    I haven't tried mine yet but hope to this week, have been busy with a design for a 3.5m by 1.6m router and a .9m by .5m router, I am thinking of selling plans and parts for both so have been busy with that / those projects.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3780-P80.jpg