587,192 active members*
2,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Noise

I have a Daewoo Lynx 200B, I have noticed that the spindle, when spinning is getting louder. However, when spinning by hand, it is still extremly easy. My first thought is the bearings (I hope I'm wrong) does anyone have any experience with this same problem? Could it be something other than the bearings? The lathe is six years old, very light duty machining.

FXRGUY

Any heat? Is the nose behind the chuck getting hot? With out beeing at the machine, its asking alot to decribe a bearing problem. It may be money well spent to call your Doosan dealer and have them take a look.

Belts can couse some strange noises. I've got a Haas that I swore the spindle was dieing. Opened it up and the belts needed attantion. Did that and the noise went away.

We have a Puma with a very noisy spindle. When we had a tech here for service on our 2500tl he told us the belts needed tightening on the Puma. seems like a simple fix we'll do when we have downtime.

The spindle bearings will be noisy if they are worn or damaged. To check them it is best to remove the belts to take tension off the drive pulley. you can then check for lift and end float in the spindle using a 0.0001" indicator and a bar. put the bar down the spindle and try to lift it using a bit of force. look at the deflection of the indicator, it should have no more than 0.0003" lift and it should spring back to zero. Use a plastic hammer to gently tap the spindle forward and back, there should be no more than 0.0002". The spindle should feel smooth to rotate with no lumpiness. refit only good belts and never overtighten them.