587,446 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spare Clifton motor in western Canada?

Hi all,

I burned out the motor for my z-axis and I have a job that needs to be finished soon. I've already ordered a replacement (and an extra), but they'll take a while to arrive.

Does anyone in western Canada (preferably Edmonton, AB area) have an extra motor and encoder I could buy off of them?

Here's the url of the motor: http://www.automec-direct.netfirms.c..._dc_motor.html

Chris

I was under the impression that automec was sold of their clifton servo motors. Where did you order yours from cause i would really like to get some as well?

Thanks

Unhappy

Does anyone still have some spares lying around, that they wouldn’t mind selling. I had three stored away in a nice box for when I start to finally build my router (hopefully this fall, as all my other projects will be complete).

During a recent move, a family member who shall remain nameless dropped the box, and broke one of the motors. Broke a peace off one of the magnets and shattered one of the brushes.

So now I’m down to two. I kind of liked the idea of having 3 matched servos, so if anyone has one lying around, please e-mail me at [email protected], or pm me, etc.
    Dan Sherman

It's true. Automec is sold out. I found out the hard way when my Z motor burned out. I planned for months to order spares, but never got around to it. Shortly after fter my original post, I got a call from Automec saying they had no more. Guess I should have called earlier.

I sent an RFQ to MOOG (parent company of Clifton) for their C23-L55W10 motor (same as Automec but higher torque). They are priced at CDN$158 each for 2 to 3 pieces with a 7 week lead time. Not as cheap as Automec.

However, that motor doesn't have the second output shaft (required for the encoder) . MOOG doesn't offer is as a stock option. Though, they said that they would be more than happy to if I was willing to pay the NRE, which they estimated at CDN$1500...

I already have a request to my local distributor to find out if there is a possiblity to waive the NRE if the interest is high enough. Which would mean a group buy.

The other options are to spec a different motor (CDN$158 for this motor is similiar to others out there) or redesign your machine to mount the encoder elsewhere (i.e. on the ballscrew). But, if you're like me, your machine is already finished and it would be difficult (if not impossible) to change it.

I'll post MOOG's response when I get it.

Chris Kirchen

If I can find a replacement, I will buy a larger one from moog and use it on my x axis, that way I don’t need a new power supply.

I’m surprised that one of the companies that cater to the diy cnc people isn’t selling servos in the 250-300 oz range. From what I have seen on this forum, almost no one needs more than that unless you’re retrofitting a full-sized mill.
    Dan Sherman