587,615 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smithy or Tormach?

My brother-in-law is looking for a mill for his small fab shop. He was trying to decide between the smithy 1240 and the Tormach . He builds custom R/C vehicles and the mill in question will be used for building various aluminum/stainless/titanium parts ranging from 1" up to 14 " for parts.

He's looking to do runs of around 10pcs up to 1000pcs. I know that's alot of work for some smaller mills but I've heard these two particular models can do some fairly decent work.

He does not want something that's going to be pushed to the limit when milling complex aluminum parts or various stainless pieces. He's attempted some of the parts in question on a couple smaller mills comparable to the smithy 622 and it just couldn't handle the tougher alloys etc. unless it was at a VERY slow speed.

thxs in advance.

djn

I say Tormach but don't buy Sprutcam with it.

The general concensus on this forum is that Tormach is the better choice in this range of machines. Even though they look close in specs, the Tormach company seems focussed on this one product, while Smithy sort of shotguns the market. Ironically, I was told that the Smithy machine is built in the factory that produces their low budget line of Midas machines, while the Tormach is built in the factory that makes the more expensive Granite line. Sounds like the Tormach guys put a move on them.