587,591 active members*
4,464 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Small furnace build

Small furnace build

Hi everyone

This is my first post. I make tools for my lathe and mill/drill and also parts for my model steam engines using a homemade furnace melting cast iron. I made a video about how I made it. It maybe useful for someone wanting to build their own furnace.

How to build a small cast iron melting furnace. - YouTube

That's a great video! I would have liked it better if you talked as you went describing it though. I'm using a little piddly unit that only holds a small amount of aluminium but struggles to do brass and copper, so I really like the way you did yours. Any idea on how the Kaowool will stand up to frequent use compared to the fireclay or cement normally used?

Could you put some details up on where you got the suplies from please? Looks like a nice XMAS project!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

my customers use kaowool in there heat treating furnaces very large furnaces one they just rebuilt had wool in it that was over 10 years old they run at 1700 degrees f

I have used fireclay and castable refractories and had problems with them so I tried kaowool. I will never go back to using the other types because kaowool heats up so quickly and is easy to repair. I was told that I should not use kaowool in a furnace that melts cast iron, also clay graphite crucibles were not rated to melt cast iron. I did try it to see what would happen and it worked. Cast iron is hard on crucibles and kaowool so do not expect them to last forever like melting aluminuim. You cannot beat a furnace that will melt cast iron quickly, it is better than driving for hours to a foundry to get my castings done. The paint is called Zircoat "W" and is made by cast metal services australia. The kaowool can be purchased from any pottery supply shops.

Is that you Ernie?