586,728 active members*
2,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Contour questions

Contour questions

Couple of questons with regards to Contour toolpath in mastercam.

1. Depending on what I select Cutter comp in Control or Computer is there a reason why Inifite Look Ahead and/or Optimize are active..

Based on the help file when either of these options are available I would want them check, am i correct ?

2. I am machining a slot ( programming with cutter comp set to off), and I've been told ( from a friend) to use the Ramp option. Is there a reason why I would want to use a Ramp and not using a regular Contour type.

3. Multipasses- I know it depends on the tool you are using, however is there way to calculate how many multipasses you need to finish cutting your part.

i.e I'm using a 0.5 flat endmill to cut a 3 by 3 inch rectangle from a 5 by 5 inch block. Now If I create a countor toolpath without multipasses I still have some leftover stock in X and Y which I understand why. I turn on multipasses and want to enter in the number of passes and spacing ? Is there a way of calculating it or is it just a guessing game ?

Thanks for your help !!

1. hmmm... Not something I've ever paid much attention to...

2. The biggest reason for me to use ramp is because it eliminates lots of retracting, lead-in, lead-out, etc... Ramp just gets in there and keeps cutting until the end.

3. I work visually more often than not. I am sure you could use some math and figure out how many multipasses are required but I find it much more efficient to make my best guess and then adjust from there as necessary.

Alternatively you could use pocketing to cut some features like this depending upon the shape but most often contour with multipasses will give a more efficient path for the example provided.

When I enter the number of passes I first will know or have measured the max amount of material to be removed.
    The in the number of passes box I enter it as a equation.
    If there is 2.35" of material.
    And the amount per pass is 0.425
    Enter 2.35/.425 [ENTER], it will do the math and put the number of passes in.

Thank you !