586,920 active members*
2,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Centurion good for retrofit?

Hybrid View

Centurion good for retrofit?

I'd like to have a CNC mill. It seems like there is inexpensive iron out there with outdated or broken controls. I'd like to get a mechanically sound mill and use some geckos or other drives and mach3. This is strictly for hobby/prototyping etc not production.

I see lot of mills with Centurion 1-5 controls. Anyone know the specs of the servos? Anything else to think about for hobby style retrofit?

Will

The cent 5 is a good control, if you find one cheap that works, I'd leave it. I know you're after a broken one though, so if you get one and do this please post how you went about it, I'd like to do it to mine in the shop...
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

I'll be sure to document. I want to know if I can reuse the servos/encoders as that would cut down the cost a lot.

We retrofitted a mill that had a Centurion IV control

We ended up scrapping the motors as well as the old amps, drives, computer, keyboard and monitor. But Centurion controls went on lots of different machines. Our old Leadwell's motors were big but inefficient, with BEI encoders that were going bad, and we needed motors that were compatible with the new drives we installed. Depending on what you've got, and how you want to drive them, your existing motors might work, but don't count on it. It's usually better to start with an entirely new electrical control system, so that you don't end up chasing shorts in old wiring, at the mercy of disintegrating pieces of plastic, or faced with basic incompatibilities between drivers and motors.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by will gilmore View Post
    I'll be sure to document. I want to know if I can reuse the servos/encoders as that would cut down the cost a lot.

hmm I was thinking that people often did retrofits of CNC machines and used the existed servos.

Smile Esab torch

Just retrofitted an Easb CNC Torch with camsoft. Some one let the special smoke out of the servo drive board so I purchased the new RUBY drive from Servo Dynamics. very easy to set up and program, will work with brush or brushless servo. If you find old Milltronics Iron check with them for an upgrade control kit. With CamSoft software, Galil motion board, desktop PC,monitor, breakout box, control panel with hardwire buttons, 3 new servo drives, and other items NOT COUNTING TIME AND LABOR, I had $9,500.00+ and still not where I want to be.
    If Milltronics built it, they have all records and can put together a kit to upgrade to current technology using old servos with maybe only changing drives and getting new wiring harness. A direct plug and machine will take away about 10 grand in headaches and frustration and you will have a good machine that has ability to make money every day with out some goofy glitch bringing it to a halt.
    Good Luck
    The Farmer

I'm not a machine shop. I would like to make some parts that will make some money but I'm not going into this thinking of this machine as an investment.

just found these specs on ebay for a Fryer with Centurion 1:
    Servos: Milltronics Type- MT30M4-38 NO- S06279 C/Stall Torque -26 LB/IN 8.6 A Max -3700 RPM 140 V47

sound right? 8.6A 140V?

I'm doing a Milltronics retrofit right now. Keeping old motors. About half done. Using Ajax with Mach3.