586,934 active members*
2,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help buying motors

Ok, I have basically narrowed my search down to hybrid stepper motors in the nema 14-17 range. I'm making a small desktop size cnc machine, 3 axis. I can't imagine they need that much torque to do what I want but do you think these are sufficient? I have found a supplier in America and they are $9 +shipping.. but for 3 motors shipping works out to be around $45 to Australia... so I was wondering if anyone in Australia could sell me these size motors (42mm) with at least 1.8 degree step and sufficient torque for use in a desktop cnc machine, cheap (don't mind if they are second hand). Also they must be bipolar with the 4 wires, I think its called 2phase.

Any help is appreciated! -Adrian

Any one????

I don't think you have given nearly enough info for someone to actually help yet.
    Those size motors may work. I guess they may be near the size found in some printers. I would think there should be a supplier down there. Will they work? No clue. They are on the small side for a home made anything other than a printer or perhaps laser. Something that won't see cutting forces or at least not a lot.

Peter from Homann Designs may be able to help with some things like a supplier.
    http://homanndesigns.com
    Lee

Well I plan on using it exclusively for wood. MDF, plywood, maybe maple or yew wood, for small projects. I would also like to use it for foam objects too. The design is going to be pretty simple.. using draw slides for the axis. I was thinking of using the threaded rod design, where the motor is attached to a threaded rod, which in turn "pulls" the axis closer or further away depending on the position of the nut on the threaded road (if that made sense).

I just wanted to know... before I fork out the money, if the nema 14-17 are the way to go... If you have any other suggestions I'm happy to reconsider.

Here is a spec sheet for the:

Nema 14 Click here
    Nema 16 Click here
    Nema 17 Click here

I really don't know what I'm looking at.. if someone could put it in perspective it would make more sense to me.

Lastly I want to know if any one has these for sale... For a forum of this size I would of expected much quicker/more responses... But I appreciate your comment.

those motors you show appear to be 6 wire,what driver do you have?that makes a big difference on motor type and size,i would prefer nema-23 motors around 270 oz/in of torgue

You can also check out what has been done for some ideas on what others have successfully used. I only remember just a couple machines using 17's and can't recall off hand what those were.
    Some of the build logs will also have motor and drive sizes and sources.

The first few topics here may help.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46
    Lee

Ok, this is the driver I have.

Click here

I think those motors have 6 wires, but they are not the source I'm buying from. I know from the place I'm buying they have 4 wires, but I need more help deciding on motor size/type.

Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bobhaha View Post
    Ok, this is the driver I have.

Click here

I think those motors have 6 wires, but they are not the source I'm buying from. I know from the place I'm buying they have 4 wires, but I need more help deciding on motor size/type.

Any help is appreciated!
    what is size of table?
    we have many package
    http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCNEMA23Package.html

@Kelinginc

Wow those kits are expensive! The motors are $20, does that include shipping? I can get the same motors for $9 but the shipping is a killer. Please pm me if you can give me a discount, I will be happy to review your products and when I make an instructible I will provide links to your website and products as well as a full review on youtube!! Please pm me!

@Every one else!!!

I'm planning on using the Nema 17's with a desktop cnc machine with approx dimensions of 45cm by 60cm wide/long. Do you think these will be suitable for my application? Also do you think I will need a smaller motor for the z axis since I do not need much power/speed? if so any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Regards -Adrian

This may be an option:

http://www.ausxmods.com.au/

but I don't know if they have specifically what you are after.

@Grunto yes this is the company I was contemplating buying from, they are in Australia and I live like 30mins drive from them. But at $20 for Nema 17's its kinda expensive. If I dont get an offer from Kelinginc this is the company I will be buying from, provided these motors are the ones I need! Thanks!

anyone there???

Can some one help?? this is such a bodge forum!

I'm not sure who has the cheapest bodge's online, but they are likely over your budget too. Ebay may be your best source for used bodges and you may even find some tiny motors thats in your price range as well. They may or may not work for you though. I have relayed about as much info as I have experience with on the smaller stuff.
    If you start asking some more direct questions, some may offer some help that have experience with such small equipment on a router.

Just an FYI, a little research and reading of the Bodged forum is about all it took to get me going into cnc. I have designed and built about 4 of them so far. The info you seek is here.
    Lee

Not sure if you ever got your stepper motors? It looks like you want something fairly cheap so definitely look into scrapping old laser printers and you will usually find some nice stepper motors. At one point I was buying old HP laser printers for $2 at a surplus computer store and extracting a nice Nema 23 stepper motor.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...light=laserjet

I strongly doubt that any nema 17 motor is adequate to power a router cutting anything but foam, especially if there are any inefficiencies in the drivetrain (e.g. all-thread / gas pipe designs)

But there is a saying; "You don't learn anything by doing it right the first time."

Try it. I might be wrong. If not, it'll be an inexpensive learning experience.

FWIW, I have geared nema 34's on my router cutting "just wood", and it is not overpowered.