586,639 active members*
2,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking HARDING CHNC II

I keep getting this error on long programs:

SR824 BUFFER OVERFLOW (1)

I know it has something to do with the port but the book is not clear to me on exactly what it is and I don't have a clue on how to fix it.

Having to be programmer machinist and maintenance man on these 20 year old machines I am going to have lots of questions.

Thanks for the help
    Allen

Is it a Fanuc 10T control? What are your communication parameters? On the PC, what are the Comm Port parameters (also, Settings/System/Hardware/Device Manager/ports/Com1/Port Settings/Advanced, set FIFO buffers to "Low")

Yes it is a 10TF, our network guy set up all the comports through the network they are TruePort Serial Ports 10 of them. one for each machine. Not quite sure what you are asking for on the parameters. Will COM1 being set on low efect all the other ones?? everything on port settings are 9600 baud, 8 bit, Partiy none, Stop 1, Flow none.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by MadMan5000 View Post
    Will COM1 being set on low efect all the other ones?? everything on port settings are 9600 baud, 8 bit, Parity none, Stop 1, Flow none.
    Allen
    No, the FIFO buffers on the PC are per COM port. You'd have to adjust each one Transmit at min, receive at max.

What about the CNC machine's parameters? In particular, 5001 = 1, 5110=3, 5111=2, 5112=11

From my Comm Software manual:

Set COM Port FIFO Buffer Size

Standard computer COM ports are equipped with two First-In-First-Out (FIFO) buffers: a Transmit FIFO that holds characters that are waiting to be transmitted (to the CNC), and a Receive FIFO that hold characters that have been received but have not yet been processed by the computer. Each FIFO can be configured to store between 1 and 16 characters

Transmit FIFO

When the computer is sending data to the CNC, if the CNC can not keep up with the speed at which the computer is sending data, it will tell the computer to stop sending data, then tell it to start again once it is ready to handle more data. This process is called 'handshaking' or 'flow control'. When the CNC tells the computer to stop sending data, any data in the Transmit FIFO buffer will continue being sent to the CNC. This means that up to 16 additional characters can be sent to the CNC after it signals the computer to stop. Unfortunately, some CNCs can only handle a small number of additional characters, perhaps 5 to 10. If more characters are received at the CNC than the CNC can handle, it indicates an 'overrun' or 'overflow' alarm.

Receive FIFO

When Dostek DNC is receiving data from the CNC, received data is stored temporarily in the COM port's Receive FIFO. If the FIFO becomes full before the received data can be processed, Dostek DNC will indicate an 'overrun' error. This can occur if Dostek DNC does not have enough computing power due to other processes running on the computer.

Change FIFO Setting

For best performance, the Transmit FIFO and Receive FIFO should both be set to the maximum size. However, if the CNC indicates an 'overrun' or 'overflow' alarm when receiving data from the computer, lower the Transmit FIFO size until the problem no longer occurs. Or, if performance is not a concern, set the Transmit FIFO to the minimum value. The Receive FIFO should always be set to the maximum size.

Unfortunately, Windows does not allow Dostek DNC (or other software applications) to change the FIFO setting for you. You must use the Windows Device Manager and manually change the FIFO setting. Here's how:

Start the Windows Device Manager using one of the links provided below. Start Windows Device Manager (Windows 2000, XP)
    Start Windows Device Manager (Windows 95, 98)

Open the "Ports COM & LPT" heading. A list of ports will appear. Find the desired COM port in the list.
    Double click the COM port, or select the COM port and choose File, Properties. This will open the Property Pages for the port.
    Click the "Port Settings" tab on the Property Pages form, then click the Advanced Button. The COM port's advanced properties will be displayed. Two slide controls should be visible; one for the Transmit FIFO and one for the Receive FIFO. If the slide controls do not appear, the COM port may not have Transmit/Receive FIFO settings (many multi-port boards and hubs do not).

Question

I set the FIFO as sugested, the machine parameters are 5001=1, 5110=1, 5111=2, 5112=10 how do I change this??

In MDI mode, use the soft keys to find "Settings". You should see the "Handy" page. Hit settings again to see the parameters you can change in settings mode. Type in "5001", press "Input Number". You should now see the #5001 parameter. You should be able to change it right there on the screen, if your program protect key is off, and you are in MDI mode.

I changed them and I got a SB823 Framming error the 5112 is baud rate right? what baud rate is 11 I'm using 4800. also I sent a 10k program and it went in fine but the one I'm trying to send now is only 7k and I get the buffer overflow.

11 is 9600 I think.... Let me look. You might want 9 or 10

1 = 50
    2 = 100
    3 = 110
    4 = 150
    5 = 200
    6 = 300
    7 = 600
    8 = 1200
    9 = 2400
    10 = 4800
    11 = 9600

There!

Talking

Thanks for the baud rate #'s used 9 = 2400 and it worked.

Allen

You can put it back at 4800 baud and use a line delay in the communication software you use. These controls have a limited buffer and get "confused". Thus if you keep the baud higher and just use a line delay, you'll be fine.

If you dont care how long it takes to load the NC program, leave it at 2400.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000