587,030 active members*
3,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Bent Too Much?

I just received a 3' piece of 1/2 10 1 start acme rod that has a bend in it, and I think it is too much, but would like more opinions before I call the supplier for a replacement. It might be worse if I try to straighten it.

I measured it by supporting the ends and placed a dial ind. in the center resting on a metal flat so the threads would not infulence the reading and saw 0.063" of wobble.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bent.jpg  

Not surprising if it is mild steel 3' of rolled thread. Hardened and Ground, I'd expect better of. Chances are you might get no better, no worse in exchange unless you spec it with additional charges if they offer selective tolerances or straightening services.

1/2" over 3 ft should bend easily. I have straightened 3/4 with a rubber mallet in a lathe chuck advancing it out 1 foot or less at a time, flipping it end for end just past half way out. The stuff is soft enough to make run true on center. Worked goodnuff for my needs on a 3' drill press table jack. But then, it weren't spinning at 1200rpm either.

DC

Smile Got it down to 0.006" Good enough for my application

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    Not surprising if it is mild steel 3' of rolled thread. Hardened and Ground, I'd expect better of. Chances are you might get no better, no worse in exchange unless you spec it with additional charges if they offer selective tolerances or straightening services.

1/2" over 3 ft should bend easily. I have straightened 3/4 with a rubber mallet in a lathe chuck advancing it out 1 foot or less at a time, flipping it end for end just past half way out. The stuff is soft enough to make run true on center. Worked goodnuff for my needs on a 3' drill press table jack. But then, it weren't spinning at 1200rpm either.

DC
    Thanks DC

I gave it a try and after a few attempts I got it down to 0.006", which is good wnough for me.

Hager