586,818 active members*
6,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport R2E3 Boss 8 Control

I have a communications problem as a result of something completely stupid. DNC connection was working fine before, but one of my wires came loose from my serial plug for my computer (as a result of moving the machine). Not thinking, the wire was resoldered to the connector while the machine was on!! The wire in quesiton is the wire connected to pin 8 on the machine side for transmit. I believe this shorted this wire to ground is my theory. Now I have problems communicating with EZLINK. It acts as if it wants to connect in DNC because EZLINK says "data transfer in progress", but then the machine gives Error 0040 (communications error). On other attempts, the machine says "DNC LINK" like it is going to connect and then when I push the Auto button to start the program the light on the auto button will not come on. I cannot transfer from remote using port A either.

Does anyone know which IC chip got fried, or am I gonna need a new EAF board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trace the wire(s) involved, they will be connected to a plug connecting to the EAF. Then If you don't have a schematic, use an ohm meter to trace between the known connector pin and the involved chip. This will probably be the fastest approach.

I also seems to have the same kind of problem.

I tried whatever I could to communicate with this machine but gave up. Now I end up having only this machine left so I realy need to get this thing communicate. Any help would be much apreciated.

regards

I try to keep variables to a minimum. Thus I carry a old compaq laptop PC running WIN95 (which is true DOS) and I have EZUTLS (from EZCAM) version 0 loaded on it. I have a box of cables (plus various adapters) I made 18 years ago for communication to a FANUC, Heidenhain, Bridgeport BOSS, and FMDC board. I also have a device that is a in line RS232 tester, 25 pin, with LED on the necessary lines that can light up either red or green. This was purchased at radio shack.
    I first make sure that the communication parameters are correct. Baud rate, stop bits, data bits, parity, etc.
    I then try and dump a program to and then from the machine. I can watch the LED lights to see if data is being sent. They flicker.
    If data is being sent to the machine but not received, then you may have a machine problem. From the machine to the PC but not received, a PC problem. ETC.
    But I keep certain items constant. My PC, cable, software, etc.
    If communication works for me, then I have it narrowed down to the customer equipment. I then substitute items one at a time. I do not bother with software that was not standard issue (supported) by Bridgeport.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)