587,489 active members*
3,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

G51 Scaling: how to?

I looked through my Haas manual last night and could not find a single example of G51 scaling. What I can't find is the syntax. I found another reference to it in here and it looks like G51 P0.5 where P0.5 = 50% scaling for all dimensions after that.

My question is: can I control X, Y and Z independently?

Here's what I want to do:

I have a logo that I want to store as a signature. I want to store that logo in the machine as a program, at a standard size (say 1" for ease of dimensioning). When I'm running parts that will be logo'd, I'd setup a local work offset for the logo's origin and set Z as the top of that surface.

At the end of a program, I'd add the logo with a subprogram-call with G51 scaling and G68 rotation. The reason I want independent scaling is so I can scale X and Y but leave the Z engraving depth the same (0.010").

The only alternative I can think of is to subtract the engraving depth (0.010") from the work offset Z, then engrave down to zero. In that case, the Z depth scaling wouldn't matter.

Any suggestions?
    Greg

I played with scaling quite a while back and I think I came to the same conclusion; move the Z to counteract the scaling.

The application was almost identical to yours; engraving a tradename on a part.

Now it is done using a macro written by one of my guys; nice thing having employees, it reduces the need to think.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

It's always good to hear when my noob level of experience comes to the same conclusion as yours, Geof.

I thought I was going to always reprogram that logo in each part. That seemed like a waste. I also couldn't figure out a good way to scale it or rotate it in Solidworks. The subprogram idea with scaling and rotation is so obvious that I don't know why it didn't dawn on me sooner. I just need to get a standard 1" logo in there so the scaling is easy.

Thanks again,
    Greg

Old thread, but it ranks high on Google if you go looking for G51 examples, so I will comment.

On Haas, you can't set scaling for each axis independently.

I found that out via this Haas slide show which has the syntax:

http://tinyurl.com/haasg51

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Bob,

As one would expect, you beat me to your own source of information!

I just watched the Haas Powerpoint presentation last night, as linked to from your thoroughly entertaining and informative CNC Cookbook blog. As I was reading the earlier posts, I was thinking 'Hey, I may be able to actually help someone', but alas my hopes were dashed! (nuts) Keep up the good work on the blog!

Ian

OK old thread yes, but great info. G51 would be an asset to me as well for the logo placement. So for z to maintain a correct depth of cut, just edit the tool height offset?

Mark
    2005 Haas TM-1, 4th HRT160 - OneCNC XR4 Pro w/4th - Alibre Design Expert
    Metal-tech 4x4 - www.metaltech4x4.com