587,030 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 6 12345
    I hope I can get this fixed. I would like too Rapid much higher. Much Much Higher. I want my Taig too be a real nice CNC machine. It limits me in cutting things because I know it would take too long.

I gotta figure this out.

-Jason

Jason, I really don't know what to say that can help.

I guess it is time to start with the basics. If the motor is missing steps, and you are not hearing them bind or drop, then I would have to suspect something with the PC or maybe the BOB. Lets go through the basics. Maybe there is something we are missing.

As far as speeds, maybe you should sign up on the Yahoo group for xylotex and ask what the expected speeds should be with a 20tpi screw. I know there are guys on that newsgroup that use taigs. They could be more personal in there help I would guess. It is possible that the stepper motors do not like high rpm? These aren't the ones that are sold with the xylotex kit, so I don't know. I do know that the 425s should be used with .200 pitch leadscrews. So sending you the motors I have wouldn't help.

I am sorry you are having trouble with it. If you get to a point you just want to do something else. Box it up, and send it back to me. I will refund your money and you can find something else for it. I'll build a mini router or something with it.

I never actually connected that set to any equipment. It was just put together on the bench and tested. I guess there could be something out of whack with the 3axis and I wouldn't know since I only used it on the bench for a couple of hours playing with mach3. The 4 axis kit is the one that I used on the SX3. It was used for about 3 months.

I still have the 4 axis rebuilt unit. The buyer hasn't contacted me after we talked. If you want to trade for that one, let me know. I know it works and works well for my mill. But I couldn't imagine that it would be any different. Xylotex boards either work or they don't.

If you have time though, lets go through the basics again.

Are you sure that the gibs are not to tight?

Motors are connected well to the couplings? Both mechanical and electrical.

Have you tried connected directly to the Xylotex and not through the c11?

Are we sure that the pdf link to the motors was for the right model number?

Have you adjusted and measured the Pots on the Xylotex?

Are we sure they are wired in series?

Have we tried a different PC?

Have you any way to try with Mach3 just as a test?

Are there any places in EMC2 for step pulse length? (That does help in Mach3 if the pulses are to fast.)

Are you sure that your power circuit is not overloaded? Have you ever tripped a breaker in that room or plug?

What are your current micro-step settings on the xylotex? What are your EMC2 microstep numbers?

Are there any settings in the EMC2 that have a "kernel speed"? Maybe we could slow that down a bit and see if it helps?

I will try to think of more as I go and post those. We will either figure it out, or you will get your money back. I will take care of my customers. Even at my own expense.

I think the board is ok. I am happy I bought the kit from you. I don't think it has anything too do with the board. It has too do with other outside circumstances.

Too the Basics:

1. Gibs are not too tight.

2. Yes, they are connected ok and everything turns smoothly.

3. No, I have it connected too the C11

4. Yes, the PDF is too the right motor, I took the part # right form the motor.

5. Yes, Pots are measured and ok.

6. Wired in a series, yes.

7. I have NOT tried a new Pc. I am building one this week, 3.0 GHZ processor, 2 Gig Ram, brand new. Will try EMC with it.

8. No, I have not tried Mach3, my comps for CNC are linux based.

9. I believe EMC does in fact have these options, I need too post in the EMC forum and find out. Or check the manual.

10. I have indeed tripped the breaker numerous times, even with my old cnc system. I have multiple things running from one outlet, I must check this.

11. I have it on 1/2 mircrostepping with "2" for the microstep trying too run .33 velocity

12. I need too read the manual, but sounds very familiar.

Thank you for being so patient and trying too help me out

-Jason

Guys I gotta say, After reading a huge thread about resonance dampers. I have too try it before anything else. I have seen results from videos and the posts in the thread were amazing.

People were getting twice the speeds without even changing settings in Mach3 or Emc like they planned on it. It just makes perfect sense too try this out.

-Jason

What is your motors rated current? Wiring them parallel at a lower current may get you more speed, because torque falls off using series wiring much faster than parallel.

Also, Xylotex recommends always using 1/8 step mode, because it's much smoother and less likely to suffer from resonance than the lower modes.

Provided your PC is outputting steps fast enough, no mode should be any faster than another.

But go ahead and try the dampers, they may give you what you want.

If not, you might want to look into buying 3 Gecko G250s during the $29 introductory offer. You can run bipolar parallel at up to 3.5a and 50V. Without worrying about resonance. Should easily double your speed for $100 + a new power supply.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I believe there rated for 2.1 Amps when wired in a series. I didn't know I can wire them differently, I thought they would fry the board???

I'll change back too 1/8th step and mess with it.

I'm also def going too do that dampers too. I got my stock, Just need too finish the design.

Hopefully this all works. Will update tonight.

-Jason

Can you post the model number for the motors here on the board. I don't have that pm anymore since I had to clear them.

I don't even know anymore. I freaking dropped the Velocity too .2 which is max 12 inches min. I dropped it down so I can cut my resonance dampers.....Whats the point. I can even cut them. I'll lose steps all over the place. I'm getting so fed up with everything. My machine in general. I can't even cut the damn resonance dampers at 4 inches minutes. Losing steps.

-Jason

Are your wires shielded? Are current and signal wires running near each other? Are the shield drains grounded? If so, did you make sure are they are grounded only at one end? Do you have the ability to test it with a known good control computer? Have you tried a different signal (parallel) cable?

If you have eliminated the mechanical, you are pretty much stuck with signal/logic issues if it isn't a base problem with the board or supply.

Yes the wires are shielded. I have the power supply a few inches away from the board the axis wires run basically right over the wires from the Power supply. Except not right on top of each other. The wires that are shielded are only the ones on the stepper motors too the axis board. Nothing else is shielded. I just tested with my brother 2.8 GHZ dell that runs a Gforce 7600 (For latency purposes) I have not tried a new cable....

Yes, nothing bind on the table. At least I don't think anything does..... Everything feels smooth.

-Jason

Ok, so you have tried a new PC. Was that also EMC2 with linux or was this Mach3?

Is the Xylotex connected directly to the PC or still through the c11?

Can you post a photo of the configuration you have right now?

Yea, I tried a new PC. Still EMC2, I don't have Mach.

I tried with and without c11. Oh and when I didn't use the C11 I used your parallel cable.

I'll post a photo tonight.

I just don't know what going on. I can't believe I couldn't even cut though at 3 IPM. I couldn't even cut a circle. It was all messed up

-Jason

Jason, I got a pc in today so I can load Linux on it. I'm downloading ubuntu right now and later this evening, I will have a better idea about it.

Also, have you read this page and checked the settings?
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...StepGeneration

I actually have not seen that section. I'll have too go over more things again. and do what those areas say too do.

Thanks.

-Jason

I can't open the excel file because the computer my mill runs off of is not connected too the Internet. So I can't use Linux too open that file. I'm doing this on my upstairs comp. I would like too use the excel sheet too find the base_period and everything.

-Jason

I re ran my Latency test: My Max Jitter on the the Base was: 450,750 ns and according to the manual:

If the numbers are 100uS or more (100,000 nanoseconds), then the PC is not a good candidate for software stepping.

I just hope I took it from the right place: When I commanded for the LatencyL I took my number from:

Base Thread: (25. us) and the number from MAX JITTERS (ns) 450,750

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    I re ran my Latency test: My Max Jitter on the the Base was: 450,750 ns and according to the manual:

If the numbers are 100uS or more (100,000 nanoseconds), then the PC is not a good candidate for software stepping.

I just hope I took it from the right place: When I commanded for the LatencyL I took my number from:

Base Thread: (25. us) and the number from MAX JITTERS (ns) 450,750

-Jason
    Jason,

I have a PC with a built in video chip set that gave similar numbers. I added a graphics card to it and greatly improved my latency results. My numbers went from 4-500,000 down to around 14-15,000.

I used an ATI Rage 128PRO 32mb PCI video card. Model #VAR128P-32P.

Alan

What If I put in a really really good video card? This comp is old, but I hear of people running way older comps then me.

I can't believe you went from 400,000-500,000 too 14-15,000 That must help.

So with my 450,750 thats almost the the MAX 500,000 allowed in EMC

Acon, You have always seemed too help. I hope you stick around and we can continue working on this.

Get back too me.

-Jason

I actually dont' think the computer can handle that.

Am I better off getting a 250.00 comp: With 2,8 Ghz CPU, 1 Gig Ram and then putting in a video card?

Please let me know

-Jason

Page 3 of 6 12345