586,762 active members*
8,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool comp questioin

I'm trying to figure out why a particular program runs fine in one mori lathe, but not another, when both have very similar controllers (both are Mitsubishi Meldas 60 series - one is a MSG-803 and the other is a MSG-805). The problem is that one machine will not activate tool compensation, and the other works fine. I have a bunch of flanged bushing shaped parts, of varying sizes, to produce, and have written a parametric program, that includes a couple of G71 roughing cycles for the project. Things are up and running on the lathe with the MSG-803 controller, however, when I transferred the exact program to the lathe with the MSG-805 controller, tool nose comp is apparently not working??? The obvious things like tool nose radius, and tool tip designation (i.e. 3 for the turning tool / 2 for the boring bar) have been entered into the machine that is not functioning properly. I don't know what else to check. As a matter of fact, the programming manuals for each machine are virtually the same, in regard to automatic tool nose radius offset. I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to think the problem is something other than the program. It is probably something really simple and basic that I'm overlooking. Any help would be much appreciated.

From what I know the cover of the panel might look a like but the electric is difference. it might Fanuc processor instead Mitsubishi. Anyway, I think know your problem....... at the very begin of the toolpath start to engage the part, it need to have 2 twice the space of the tool nose radius. Mitsubishi automatic compensate that space for you, but Fanuc need you to put that space in manual.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

I'm wondering if the parameter that sets the point where the tool rapids to in X and/or Z and begins the feed move isn't too small to allow the controller to effect compensation?

Thanks fellows for your help. The controller is definitely a Mitsubishi, not a Fanuc, and the rapid point is sufficiently away from the part so that the feed move in the Z axis, in the G43 start up block, is larger than the tool nose radius. I suspected that this controller may need a distance of two times the tool nose radius, and I tried that as well – no luck. I’m wondering if there is some parameter that needs to be turned on. The shop the machine was purchased from ran only programs generated by cad/cam software, and of course, all necessary compensation would have been handled by the software. I have no idea at this point ?????

Hmm, this may not be the answer but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. I used to run a hitachi seiki, and utilized the included programming software for the most part. The activation codes were in the G150 ranges, and the comp would not activate unless they were used.

Also, to turn the comp on ... the machine had to perform G1 a box shaped "air cut" before going into an actual cut. I manually wrote programs on the machine too, and remember having to do ALL of that to turn it on.

My .02 cents. Some machines are fussy like that.

Any other machine that I programmed manually ... i would rapid to a reference point of X(wherever)Z1.0, and just G1 a line about a half inch long at a F.02(something that didn't waste too much time). Turned it on every time.

Also, for turning it off I would always add an extra line after the tool was off of the part. Some parts with a spherical radius can really mess with the machines head(so to speak), You could stop right after the radius, and the machine would just keep that tool cutting into the part, even though you didn't program it to. Always another line to turn it off! In the opposite direction of the part. Just to be safe!

Probably TMI, but hey ... I'm new here and totally "geeking out". Don't mind me.

Can you post that code so we can see what you are doing? Just to rule that out.