586,688 active members*
2,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Help...BRIDGEPORT SERIES 1 BOSS...I need advice

Help...BRIDGEPORT SERIES 1 BOSS...I need advice

Hello my name is Joe I am brand new to cnc machining. My experience is limited to manual machining. I am learning auto cad programing at work right now though, I found this machine and was considering buying a CNC machine to produce some gun parts for AR 15 and Heckler & Koch G3 rifles. Mostly scope mounts and other parts like custom stocks.

The machine I believe is a BRIDGEPORT SERIES 1 BOSS CNC. This machine is on a bidding site starting at 3,200.

1. My questions are as it is equipped what would it be worth.

2. Does it appear it is now controlled by the pc

3.Is there any bad parts or problems these machines have other than the original boss controller.

4. The accuracy of this machine stated at (+-.0005) is that Plausible.

5. With my experince stated would this be a stupid purchase for a first CNC machine.

The owners description follows.

Bridgeport factory CNC,retrofitted with Machinemaster control.We used Mastercam to program,but controller has BobCam loaded in it as well.Computer included.Works very well,super high quality,very accurate.(+- .0005").Steppers are amazingly powerful!Approx. 2" diameter z axis screw!X,Y are one inch plus diameter.All are in great mechanical shape.Boxed CHROME ways,automatic RPM adjust,auto brake.Comes with quick change Erickson tooling.2 HP head,variable speed.12"x30" travel!!0-4200 RPM.Auto oiler.Air assist knee.This is more than a hobbiest's machine,but will fit in your garage.These controls are supported with tech help from Machinemaster.Approx.5000 pounds.I can arrange for forklift rental.You pay for rental.If this sells for at least my minimum,I'll split forklift(approx.$200 total).3 phase 220 volt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3812_1.JPG.jpg   3933_1.JPG.jpg   3884_1.JPG.jpg   38af_1.JPG.jpg  

38ea_1.JPG.jpg  

Hi and welcome!

I think the BP's are great machines. Check the screw conditions (those who move the table, that is) and all slides. 0.0005, maybe for a while or in a specific area, but as this machine doesn't have guidelines I think that's a salesmans word.
    But as long as the machine is in great shape I wouldn't care about the precision talk, go for it if the price is good.

It is a series 2 with the longer travels, so not a bad machine. If it is running it might be a good deal

If it is an E-bay deal, you might want to keep looking - or take the chance, youre choice. Here's some things to consider:.

It always behooves you to SEE the machine run in person before making a buy.

Although a legacy machine may run OK as is, where is, there have been instances (I have 3 in my shop) where the machines ran on site and did not survive the move well/at all. Resurrecting a dead/inoperative machine can be a nightmare.

Does it have documentation? ALL documentation. Some documentation is VERY difficult to find if not impossible. If you're buying a "project" and don't mind resurrective surgery, go for it. If you plan on and must rely on it to make parts and/or a living, make sure you get documentation.

I"d look around and check to see if the retrofit kit is still serviced as claimed. Finding parts for legacy devices, especially an out or business/production retrofit can be an expensive nightmare. DItto that for service. Even though some outfits are still in business, they don't always support, in any way shape or form, their older, legacy equipment.

Price wise, it could fit your budget and make a nice addition - as long as it works and runs as stated in the sales blurb.

If i remimber right thats up in OR/Wa area?
    I picked up a boss for $2,000 a year ago in seattle and just got a "REALY" sweet boss in portland last week for $1,175 with a up dated ah-ha drive and software.

going to toss the software but keep the ah-ha drives. thats top $$ he is asking for it. get some one that knows boss iron to look it over first, I have had 5 thrue the years and two were junk.
    the way the x axis ball screw is set up its hard to swap it out. but the Z axis in the boss machines rocks.

i'm pretty sure what u've got is a series II bottom with a series 1 head. i have one of these and it comes in handy due to the extra table travel.

this could be a good price or it could be too much. depends on the condition, the PO and how he took care of it. i will say that there are definitely better deals out there. i just passed on one that had 2 controllers for 1100.00 but i can completely repair all of my own machines. i have 4 boss machines that run each day. they are old and look worn but they make good chips. as for tolerence well i'd be better incline to believe .001 to .002 because i'd be willing to bet that the gib adjustments are more than .001 just by theirselves. now if u are talking repeatability i'd believe .0005 because what u are really talking about are 2 things histerisis and tolerance. it's like machining a square. that square will be the same over and over but.... it's x0y0 location might be a .001 or 2 off. but again each machine has it's own character and running the machine awhile u learn them and adjust.

there is one thing for certain. if u are going to run these old machines u need to learn how to fix them. u cannot afford to pay these guys the 70 to 120 per hour they charge. a simple axis board replacement will likely cost 2000 buck i know the board is like 12 to 1400 then plus the guys time which starts when he leaves his shop and then finally returns home.

so how i'd look at this is ... if the machine will hit the ground running and making good chips the first day then 3200 is about ok but any question in it's ability to run then the number goes 1500 or less.