587,708 active members*
3,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

bridgeport series 2 cnc boss 6

I just bought a bridgeport series 2 cnc boss 6 early 80s model. The machine powers up and the spindle runs and changes rpm through an air controler. Problem is no mater what I do I can not move any of the 3 axis with the control panel limit switches are working except the top two on the quill they check good with a meter but when you trip them by hand they will not set off the limit light on the control panel. I have both operator and programing manuals that explain how to power up and check system for errors and move or jog axis it shows no errors but still will not do anything. I have power at the stepper motors but no drive also if you try to turn the axis by hand with power on they are locked .With power off they will move freely. also I am also looking for a maintinece manual. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem without doing a retrofit.

I Have a maintenance manual which covers boss 4,5 and 6 which I could copy for you but would cost a bit to send to you as I am in the UK

richard
    [email protected]

I just retrofitted a Boss 6, If you need any parts let me know.
    The only thing wrong with mine was a bad Y axis board.

The two switches on top of the quill are the decel switch and the home switch. The bottom switch is a switch.
    Try pressing the red button with the yellow surround. Probably the bulb is blown in it but this takes the machine out of limits and allows it to move.
    Has the machine booted properly? Is the RUN or GOTO or ERR lit?
    Is there a 70007 on the display?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The bottom switch on the quill is a limit switch.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The red button with yellow surround is it on the control panel? Or the quill. As far as i can tell the machine has booted properly no err light only an abs light. and there is no 70007 in the display.

On the control panel. It is also used to jog off a limit by pressing and holding it in while jogging off the limit switch.

George

What is a decel switch?
    Just curious cause I used it for a limit.
    Thanks

I will try to move axis later this eveining . This machine acording to the manual is 232 compatible would it be eaiser to hook up a pc and software to get this thing up and running. If so what would I need . would you know where i could get info on how to do this.

I tried pressing in the red limit overide with the yellow surround to jog the axis still no movement in xyz. the panel shows no err lights only an ABS light and the NFST lights above the 3 digit display which are showing all zeros. And the 5 didgit display is also all 00.000

Are you in setup? Jog? Continous? Pressing + or -?
    I do not know how much you know about the machine nor what manuals you have read.

George

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Are you in setup? Jog? Continous? Pressing + or -?
    I do not know how much you know about the machine nor what manuals you have read.

George
    Yes I am in in set up mode then I am selecting X Y or Z axis. And then pushing in and holding + or - button. Acording to the manual this will move the axis anywhere to where you could set 0 on a part. then it goes on to say that you can move axis off of your 0 points and then select the Go To Mode. Then pressing the + OR MINUS BUTTON you can double check your zero points.

Does the readout change or does it stay at 0.00 when your pressing the +/- button? You will have to press the relavent button for each axis to get the axis posistion display up.

Does the machine move in step mode.

Chris

BTW: All these old BOSS machines (3, 4, 5, and 6) hit the deceleration switch on quill up and then creep to the home switch and stop.
    There is a selector switch to set a part program zero. another position to go to zero, another position to set the TLO, etc.
    Yes it is dog work to edit or program these machines through the front panel. This is why you always saw a teletype or PC hooked up to them. This is also true for the BOSS 7, 8, and 9.

George

Geoge if this was your machine and you were trying to get this machine up and running making money what would you do to solve this problem retrofit? if so what do you recomend. thanks Moses

I have been fixing these machines since 1982 so that is an unfair question. I also had a BOSS 9 I tried to make a living with (I had a TRS-80 Model 100 attached to it and later a Mac running EZCAM). Most learning was trial by fire.
    I am trying to get a feel for what your situation is and as of now I am not certain if it is a power or operator or control issue. The maintenance manual has a step by step trouble shooting section but you need to know how to use a meter. It sounds like the control section is OK but since this is open loop, if you jog the X axis, the display should show a move even if the axis does not move. Thus back to the catch 22, the operator or the machine?

George

Ok after talking to george and a few other people about my no axis problem I have decided to try one of hillbillys boards and mach 3 software.ordered it this past weekend 4/8/07 should be here this weekend hopefully I will get started hooking it up this weekend. I was wondering if anyone else has used one of these set ups and if you had any luck with it.

Mon 4/16/07 spent the weekend installing hillbillys breakout board and mach 3 software both software and board seem to be working fine LEDs responding to comands. And software didgital readouts change as if motors are turning. However I still have no axis movement on the machine. With the power on the machine xyz axis are locked. Turn power off their free. Is their a code or comand to unlock these motors with power on. Im still in need of a maintanece manual so I can start trouble shooting this problem. This machine has superior motors can any one tell me what kind of voltage I should have at these motors. Thanks Moses

FUSES 12, 13, 14 ARE THE dc SIDE GOING TO THE MOTORS. SHOULD HAVE ABOUT 9 T 10 VOLTS DC THERE WITH THE CURRENT BEING ABOUT 8 AMPS. WHEN THE MOTORS ARE AT RAPID, THE CURRENT DROP TO ABOUT 2 AMPS WHILE THE VOLTAGE GOES UP TO ALMOST 60 VDC.
    THE MOTORS ARE LOCKED BECAUSE THEY ARE ENERGIZED.

GEORGE

I checked voltage at those fuses yesterday 7-9 volts but did not check amps i will recheck both this evening you said that the motors are intergized causing lock up how do i fix this. or is that the way it is suposed to be? Thanks for the info. Moses

Page 1 of 2 12