586,637 active members*
2,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need a measurement

G'day all,

I need a measurement, if someone can help me please. For a Series 3 (1100).

I need to know the height from the table to the highest point of the Z axis, when It's at the highest point.

I'm making a new enclosure and I want to put a roof on it. The last thing I want is for the Z axis to hit it , when It's homing.

I've got my machine in pieces at the moment, as I'm moving.

Michael

Re: Need a measurement

Your results may vary. . . I'm currently building an enclosure for mine and the very top is at 88 3/8". I'm using a product called "Creform" for the major construction. One picture shows where I'm at in the construction. There's a shot looking across the top with the Z all the way up. The drag chain cable carrier is about an inch under the top of the tubing which tape measures at 88 3/8".

More on my build (not that you asked). . . The Creform tubing is available in stainless steel or gray-plastic coated steel (maybe others). I went with the stainless as it came VERY cheap off a CL listing. The windows are 1/4" Lexan which was repurposed from original owners stand.

He'd made his enclosure from 1" square tubing and welded 3/32" steel panels in place. Only access was through the front slider doors. I'm 60 and didn't want to have to crawl into the machine.

My enclosure has sliding doors in front that give a 3' opening. The doors are hinged and can swing open by pulling a pin. They are also removable by pulling a second pin (upper hinge pin).

The side panels slide up out of the way for full access to the ends. The panels are 0.090" thick fiberglass reinforced PE; product from Menards that sells for $25 a sheet. My shop has a 10' ceiling, so to give me a 6' 3" opening (I'm 6'), the panels are 42" tall. I still need to make close-out panels for the sides that will go on the inside of the sliding panels. Idea is to shingle everything back into the chip pan. I framed the plastic panels with suspended ceiling edge track (it's galvanized steel), pop riveted to the plastic.

Plan for my back wall is removable plastic panels that are spit in the middle and hang from the upper tubing. Going to use the same sheet material for those.

The top will be a 4' x 8' sheet of corrugated polycarbonate product from Menards. It's stocked back by their eave troughs and sells for $50 a sheet. Plan is to cut out an opening for a Mistaway air filter which will set on cross members of the Creform tubing. I'll shoot some screws through the top to the Creform tubing to secure it.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info.... that makes my life a lot easier :-)

As I mentioned, I've already dismantled the enclosure and the mill. I wanted to order the materials that I'm going to need and this really helps.

I do like your idea of the side access.

Thanks again.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Very nice! I don't think mine has ever looked that clean. I'm a quality engineer at a GM plant in Lansing, MI and am currently furloughed from work, so will have some time to finish mine up this weekend. Then it'll be troubleshoot time by spraying around with the wash down hose and plugging leaks.

Best regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Just thought that I'd double check... is the measurement that you gave me, measured from the table to the top of the enclosure, or from the ground?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    Hi Bruce,

Just thought that I'd double check... is the measurement that you gave me, measured from the table to the top of the enclosure, or from the ground?

Michael
    It's from the floor to the top of the mill

If it's not too much trouble, could you give me a measurement from the table instead of the floor, please?

Michael

Michael
    With Z at the reference height is have 44 5/8" from the top of the table to the top of the motor/pulley cover. The cable chain is above that height.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for doing that, I really appreciate it.

The numbers don't need to be "dead" accurate, as I'm making a cover to go over the top.

If the cable chain is above that measurement, then how much room (above that) do I need for the enclosure ceiling?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    Hi David,

Thanks for doing that, I really appreciate it.

The numbers don't need to be "dead" accurate, as I'm making a cover to go over the top.

If the cable chain is above that measurement, then how much room (above that) do I need for the enclosure ceiling?

Michael
    I tape measure 50" from the table to the top of the cable with the head all of the way up.

Bruce

Michael
    My cable chain extends 8" above the top of the top of the motor/pulley cover. So an additional 12" should give you some clearance.

David

Thanks for the info... it will save a lot of guesswork

Initially I was going to make the roof panel out of 1" x 1" extrusion and fit perspex panels. Then utilise the light from the ceiling of the shed.
    Now I'm thinking that maybe I should make the ceiling from mild steel or Ally. Then mount the lighting in the ceiling.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Not that my enclosure is a model to follow by any stretch of the imagination, but it works for me. I used 6 mm thick corrugated polycarbonate sheeting on mine. Bought mine from Menards for $50, comes in a 4' x 8' sheet.

My enclosure is made from Creform tubing; about 1.050" diameter stainless steel tubing. They have a couple of snap-on details which I used to attach the back panels and the top (photos attached). My enclosure leaves about 1/8" opening at the very top which hasn't been a problem so far.

I lit mine with a 5000 lumen 4' shop light and a 200 W LED flood on the side. The LH side isn't as well lit, but it's better than what the photo shows.

Bruce

My enclosure with the front doors closed, lights off

Enclosure with the front doors swung open. Picture of my lighting; 4' 5000 lumen LED and a 200 W LED flood. Top panel is corrugated PC. It's pretty stiff and lets a fair amount of light through.

$50 for a 4' x 8' sheet from Menards (large home improvement box store in the US)

Lights on.

Back end. The rear panels are split in two and snap to the top rail. Top panel does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Allen View Post
    Michael
    My cable chain extends 8" above the top of the top of the motor/pulley cover. So an additional 12" should give you some clearance.

David
    Thanks for the info