586,664 active members*
5,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > newbie needing help/machine choice

newbie needing help/machine choice

Hey all,
    Newbie here looking to purchase a cnc machine to setup in my shop. I have no previous cnc experience and am just looking to create my own custom parts for a hobby of mine (below are a few links of products I would be creating).

http://www.ssrcracing.com/images/tra...-tower-mip.jpe
    http://www.ssrcracing.com/images/tra...r-bulkhead.jpg
    http://www.ssrcracing.com/images/tra...r-carriers.jpg

Any advice on what machine to purchase? Of course I want the biggest bang for the buck...and my bucks are fairly low at the moment. thanks!

-Rick

many machines on ebay.

do you want mill or lathe?
    new or used?

sorry, i see you want mill.
    new or used?

Probably thinking used (cheaper)...although I'm open to new as well.

Thanks for the post btw.

Rick,
    We do some limited r/c work for another company. The name of the game is speed.

In my opinion, something like a Haas Super Mini or a Fanuc Robodrill with a fast spindle option would be ideal for this type of work. I believe they are both in the $40k range. You'll also need some CAM software if you don't already have it. You don't want to program r/c parts by hand...trust me!

Thanks for the info. What do you think of the flashcut 9000 series? I'm thinking of going that route, around $13K out the door...however if the name of the game is speed I'm not sure if it's something that's capable. Your thoughts?

What do you recommend for CAD software? I want to stay away from the G code if possible

Thanks!

Rick,
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with any of the Flashcut stuff.

Don't get me wrong, you can do r/c stuff with a slower spindle...it just takes a long time since most of the tools you'll use will be 3-5 mm diameter.

Don't be afraid of g-code! It is only instructions! In my opinion, you will be highly restricted if you limit yourself to conversational programming.

As far as any CAD/CAM, don't make the same mistake we made...this it is an investment, not an expense. And I don't mean this in regards to only the dollars...even more significant is the time involved in learning and becoming proficient. Having said that, look into financing/leasing options and get something that will last for years and can grow with your company.

I recommend a parametric solid modeling program for CAD (such as Solidworks, Pro/E, Alibre, etc.) and a midrange 2.5D CAM program (such as Mastercam, Surfcam, etc.) You get what you pay for, so don't let ANYBODY tell you their $2500 CAM program is as capable as a $5000 program. Trust me, it isn't the same...I learned this the expensive way.