586,728 active members*
3,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > diy variable voltage stepper power supply

diy variable voltage stepper power supply

i know most steppers can take much more voltage ( i herd 20x) than the rated Voltage rating on the motor I have 300oz motors and I would like build my own power supply for them. Question is has anyone made a variable voltage supply with current limit buit in for there drives.

Stepper voltage

Sir,

The Limit on steppers is the average current which can flow in the winding(s).
    This causes I x R losses which is heating. The torque of a stepper is set by the current in the windings. So the objective of a good stepper driver is to maintain the current and thus the torque. When you begin to run at higher speeds and the windings are turned on and off rapidly, the inductance of the stepper coil windings starts to diminish the average current which can flow. If higher voltage can be applied to the winding, then you can get back to the desired current and torque. As a practical matter, most stepper drivers use pulse width modulation along with a higher voltage, so that a FIXED power supply can be used, and the stepper driver modifies its pulse width in an effort to maintain the current level you set. You end up with a stepper and drive system which operates at a MUCH higher speed and the torque stays high, resulting in a good running system.

You need a fixed (and it can be unregulated) power supply at a higher voltage than the motor I x R sets, and a good chopper type stepper drive.
    Sometimes they go to 20 x rated stepper voltage.

Regards,
    Jack C.

do i need to work thw pwm or does it take care of itself?
    i dont know sqat!!! will be asking dumb questions

PWM takes care of itself

The PWM controller adjusts the pulse width to control the motor speed to the desired value. The average current is determined by the load applied to the motor. For example when the motor is accelerating a heavy CNC stage and router, the current will be higher, but when it reaches the desired speed then the current is determined mostly by friction. The PWM might be near 100% (full on) when accelerating, and then drop to 10% on time when full speed is reached.