587,025 active members*
3,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Yet Another Sieg X2 [D] CNC Conversion and Upgrade Thread - Total Newb Needs HELP

Threaded View

Yet Another Sieg X2 [D] CNC Conversion and Upgrade Thread - Total Newb Needs HELP

I know what your thinking .. after reading through this forum and the misc sites on the web now for over 6 months before finally pulling the trigger .. Geez not another newb with dreams of CNC with an X2 ... I know I know.

Im creating this post to try and bring forth [ after said reading until my eyes bled ] some newer data and links - as several I've tried to follow thru with were over 10 yrs OLD! , and links to parts products tips tricks and misc websites were a cavern of hellish 404 Page Not Founds. and I will admit - a bit of selfishly wanting a central place to document my trials and tribs and hopefully get some much needed de-newb-ifying assistance.

Quick shout of acknowledgement out to this forums members - man - what an amazing gathering of skills and knowledge - fully blown away ... Hoss Machine / yantra3d / djbird3 / SCzEngGroup and on and on and on ... Thank you - sincerely ...

It all started from ... that fateful day I discovered I could make and own and shoot very accurately, my very own 80% completed firearm .. and that I could - even in the gun grabbing state of Commie Fornia, put a hunk of alum into a machine in a jig and push a few buttons - and watch what a gaggle of really smart dudes before me created ... churn out a Modern Sport Rifle lower ready for assembly. Amaze-ballz. I was hooked. Firearms stuff is actually a very minor aspect of what I want to use this thing for - but I digress.

My first post here is a bit of info on me, background, hobbies interests - and of course what seems like my new OCD Addiction. Maybe my first milled parts should be for a safe to hide my wallet ? Too late.

I'm a california'n - in So Cal .. originally from Texas. Been here in So Cal since 1972. Im just over a half century old, and all this Machine stuff is brand new to me. Worked as a kid in a woodshop making custom cabinets and counter tops - but Ive been mainly a desk jockey pushing papers on the daily now for over 30 years. Aint scared to put workboots on tho - as I just got done building a custom home for a family member in Texas [ where do I find the time ] Have 2 adult kids [early 20's ] and 2 more in high school ... well alot of engineering types in here who prolly give ZERO u know whats about all that - but yeah - did it anyways. I personally like to build relationships - on and offline with like minded folks - so I shared some Personal TMI.

Anyhow ... I drove up to Pasadena from Orange County last week and grabbed up a Sieg X2D and visited The Little Machine Shop in person .. and ... its pretty little - lol. The Machine I got - AND their shop. Super cool folks tho - very helpful. Answered a bag o queries about Tormach Tooling System TTS for me ...

A. This thing was surprisingly heavy to me - lol B. was rather clean for what I expected - read about covered in Goo - it was super oily tho. C. Came apart real easy [ always the easy part ]

and so it starts ... Planned Upgrades and CNC components

1. Automation Technology Inc - 570 oz stepper motors / KL 5056 Stepper drivers / Powersupply [ Kit ]
    2. C11G BOB with Ethernet Smoothstepper
    3. Ballscrews - yet to be determined - looking at Linearmotion guy on ebay as im not sure I want to spend $150 per BallNut elsewhere !!!
    4. Spindle Bearings Upgrade - sourced thru Locate Ball Bearings.com - 7007B-2RS-TVP - FAG & 7206B-2RSR-TVP - FAG
    5. New Spindle Motor - going Nordic Trac - just need to select one of 5 options - will be posting for help on this in a bit
    6. KBMM-125 to run the motor and connect to Mach3 [ Galco.com ] - https://www.galco.com/buy/KB-Electronics/KBMM-125
    7. Mist or coolant - may go coolent flood system due to not wanting compressor always rockin
    8. designing an enclosure for my unique and limited workspace
    9. Will likely be doing several of Hoss Machines plethora of killer upgrades [ head spacer ] / Y Travel increase / ATS
    10. Most definitely - standardizing on Tormachs TTS

million more things i think I could list but ... Thats all for now

- Steve [ SoCal ]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171107_233233.jpg   20171108_001253.jpg   20171108_004831.jpg   20171106_150856.jpg  

20171107_215813.jpg