586,823 active members*
3,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Autocad user has newbie SW/CNC questions

Autocad user has newbie SW/CNC questions

Hello everyone, Rick is the name, and I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. I found this site, beginning my search for CNC information. My trade is drafting/detailing in the architectural millwork/storefixture/cabinetry realms. I've used Autocad for about 10 yrs now, but need to expand my knowledge/skill base in other areas. My boss has Solidworks on one of the computers at work, but I've never used it. I'm fairly versed in Autocad, and it does everything I need, as the projects vary way beyond what cabinet vision or those types of programs provide. But now he is thinking about purchasing a CNC, but what type I have no idea. He thinks SW might be usefull to interface with CNC but I haven't had much experience with CNC, although I spent the last 2 years at another shop, drawing shop plans. Then another person in the department would then take the Autocad files and import them into some type of CNC program for dumping to a floppy for the CNC. I think it was a German PTP machine, but don't remember the name. Anyway,here is the crux of my question.
    Is Solidworks a standard drawing tool in the CNC world, or is Autocad good enough for basic panel machining, such as dados, drilling, radiused cuts etc? And is there a standard CNC workhorse in the industry for this type of work. The shop is a small but highend custom cabinetry/fixture/millwork operation, that could really benifit from a CNC for panel dado work, but I have no idea what the norms are for that level of business. He has an opportunity to buy a used CNC for about $20k and the machine was only 2 yrs old, and cost over $60k new, although I have no idea what brand or type it is. I'm just trying to gather information on the software side, as I am the detailer, but will be handling the CNC stuff too. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And btw, nice forum.

One other area I'm interested in is building a small home CNC for laser engraving, and various panel routing chores on small scale, as I custom build acoustical/fixture products for recording studios and home theater. But thats another animal, different day. Thanks
    fitZ
    Alright, breaks over, back on your heads.....

Solidworks and AutoCAD will both work well for your needs. I have used both, but am more adept with AutoCAD, so that's what I choose. Basically, you will do your drawing in the CAD program, and if it's very complex, you will want a CAM program to convert the drawings into G-Code. I would recommend looking at TurboCAD/CAM, DeskCNC, and SolidCAM to start with. Actually, browse through the entire software section here and take a look at what's available. You'll get a better idea of capabilities and prices.

If you're looking to buy and/or build CNC machines, you're definately at the right place to get educated. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello Gentleman, thank you for your quick response. Well, even though I've been around CNC for a while, never had the chance to delve into it.
    Looks like I HAVE found the right place to do just that. Hmmmm, where to begin. Kind of like picking up a guitar to start learning. Which end do I
    blow into . Ok, well it looks like a learning curve from hell. Would anyone have an idea which direction to go to get an overview. I'm not a machinist
    and only am working with wood and plastic products. But I would like to learn the basic how's and why's of CNC to start with. I WILL read every
    thing here, but I'm sure a forum is not a tutorial in CNC. Any help is appreciated, as I am a total novice. Thanks again.
    fitZ
    Alright, breaks over, back on your heads.....

Hi FitZ,

I'd like to encourage you (and your boss) to take a look at OneCNC when you get to the stage of wanting to machine models you have created in SW. The OneCNC-XP 2004 series has certification as a Solidworks partner, and makes full use of whatever conveniences that Windows has to offer.

The price is not a killer. The interface is easy to learn. The support is great. It is worth looking into.

http://www.onecnc.net/download_usa/downloads_usa.htm
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello
    I would encourage you to look into Feature Cam. From what I gather you work is mostly 2D. Feature Cam will take a solidworks file and auto recognize 2D features and almost completly write your program for you.With just a few mouse clicks!!! You can get a fully functional demo(except for posting actual code) at the website. www.featurecam.com.

I agree that you won't NEED SolidWorks for the 2.5D milling you have described. I do suggest you get CAM software to generate your machine code.

In regards to SolidWorks; I remember when I got AutoCad and couldn't believe how I survived without it (doing all my drawings on paper).
    Then I switched to SW & now I can't believe that I thought ACAD was great.
    I actually find it very difficult to try and use ACAD now. I open, view, modify, and manipulate all my dwg/dxf customer files in SW.
    IMO having a good knowledge of ACAD might be a 20% productivity boost to get you started in SW.
    SW is VERY easy to learn the basics (everything you can create in ACAD plus at least 10 times that) and it also has so many extensive commands/functions that I doubt I will ever use at least 20% of it in my lifetime; not that it is difficult just the simple fact that the program is very broad based and I don't need some of the functionality.
    Enough of my rambling, gooday
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

This thread started a year ago, so it may not matter anymore. If you're in the woodworking industry, I would recommend AGAINST any of the CAM packages mentioned above. You really need something woodworking specific, and there are a lot to choose from. It also has a LOT to do with the type of machine you purchase, whether it's a point to point machining center with multiple vertical and horizontal drilling spindles, or just a basic router. Most likely you'll find that 99% of millwork/ store fixture/ cabinet work is basically 2D or 2 1/2D machining. I doubt you'd find many people in that industry using solidworks. Most use one of the major woodworking packages, like PSI's Rapid E, or CV like you mentioned. You might want to look at MasterCAM Router, or AlphaCAM, for more custom projects. We do all our CNC machining with a combination of AutoCAD, PSI products, and Cadcode. http://www.cadcode.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

welcome to the forum