586,920 active members*
2,592 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Slant Lathe > In PP V1.9.11, converstational threading issues

Hybrid View

Re: In PP V1.9.11, converstational threading issues

What do you mean "PathPilot simulator" I thought it wouldn't run w/o the mesa card?

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    What do you mean "PathPilot simulator" I thought it wouldn't run w/o the mesa card?
    The MESA card is not needed to run PathPilot in a VirtualBox and PP is aware of it. As such it then simulates the MESA card & then allows you to pick the machine to operate. It then behaves like the real machine is connected up and everything just works as you would expect.

This is really great for trying out code right on your desktop, developing code (conversational and or hand coding), and for testing new updates.

So I have a Windows 7 desktop with all my CAD/CAM program that I use. Using Oracle VirtualBox I created a virtual computer running PathPilot so I have it available right on my desktop – very convenient.

Here is a screenshot of PP running on my Windows 7 Desktop:

That's incredibly useful.

I have a VirtualBox setup for running some old software that needs XP. I'll have to create an instance for this as well. Did you just create a LinuxVM and boot from your PathPilot CD? I can create a couple, one for my mill and another for the lathe.

It's always a great day when you learn about something that will make life much easier. I don't like standing there writing conversational code.

Yep, that's about it with just a few gotchas …

In VB create a basic VM like this:

• Give it a name: PathPilot
    • Type: Linux
    • Version: Ubuntu (32-bit)
    • Memory size: 2048 MB
    • Create a virtual hard drive now.

In the next screen you must create a VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) & Fixed size HD of 32 GB. The fixed size is necessary because of the PP installer.

After the VDI hard disk has been formatted you can proceed to installing PP. You can use the CD or an ISO copy of it.

Now for the fun part: Earlier versions of the PP CD were not VB aware. You can still use it for the install, then perform the updates later, but PP will complain about the MESA card not being present. Just reboot into the desktop & edit the “config_file.txt” to reflect a simulation to use like this:
    ~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_1100-3_sim.ini
    Once you do this & apply the latest PP update things will take care of themselves. With newer versions of the CD you don’t have to do this.

You only need 1 VM to simulate any of the machines. Each time PP starts it first ask for you to agree to the license agreement, then which machine to configure. Click, click and you’re off & running.

So after the install you’ll need to install the VB Guest Additions to get the screen size right, shares, and clipboard between the host & client going. I also do the “jail break” thing so that I boot into the linux desktop rather than PP.

So those are the basics. Yep, you do need a pretty good desktop with plenty of RAM & HD space. If your doing any serious CAD/CAM your probably already set. I have a 512 GB SSD set aside just for VB hard drives. But you could use your main HD, a USB drive or even a NAS location.