587,487 active members*
3,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Slant Lathe > In PP V1.9.11, converstational threading issues

In PP V1.9.11, converstational threading issues

I recently upgraded to PP V1.9.11 from 1.8 and now I am having issues with conversational threading.

My threading tool is on a quick change tool post so all the X diameters are negative, but what happens is that the X movement is backwards, the retract is toward the part and the threading is away from it.

I am pretty sure my tool is setup the same as when it worked in the past. But then there is a good chance I am doing something wonky. The tool Orientation is set to 8, which is correct.

Code:
    (External Threading G-code generated:)
    (   Thu Jun 22 00:06:32 2017)
    (PathPilot Version: 1.9.1)
    (Description = Bthread1)

(Units = G20 inches)
    (Work Offset = G54)

(Tool Number = 5)
    (Tool Type = ftp_thread)
    (Tool Orientation = 8)

(Spindle RPM =  250.0)

(Z Start Location = 0.0000)
    (Z End Location = -0.3500)
    (Thread Direction = Right Hand)
    (Inside Diameter = -1.0400)
    (Outside Diameter = -1.1120)
    (Taper [incl. lead in/out] = 0.0000)

(Thread Length = 0.3500)
    (Pitch = 0.0500 inches/thread)
    (Threads per inch = 20.00)
    (Depth of Cut = 0.0200)
    (Thread Lead = 0.1)
    (Tool Clearance = 0.1)
    (Number of passes = 13)
    (Tool on - side)

(----- Start of G-code -----)
    (<cv1>)

G7 (Dia. Mode)
    G18 (XZ Plane)
    G90 (Absolute Distance Mode)
    G40 (Turn Cutter Compensation Off)
    G20 (units in inches)
    G54 (Work Offset)

G30 Z #5422 (Park Tool)
    T 0505

G97 (RPM Mode On, CSS Off)
    S 250

M8 (Coolant ON)
    M3 (Spindle ON, Forward)
    G0 X -1.3120
    G0 Z 0.1000
    G76 P 0.0500 Z -0.3500 I 0.2000 J 0.0200 R 2 K 0.0720 Q 30 D 0.0000

G0 X -1.3120 Z 0.1000

M9 (Coolant OFF)
    M5 (Spindle OFF)
    G30 Z #5422 (Park Tool)
    (----- End of Thread -----)

M30 (End of Program)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170622_095610.jpg  

Re: In PP V1.9.11, converstational threading issues

Well, I ran your code on both versions and as you say v1.9.11 runs it on the wrong side???
    Off hand I cannot think of another setting that might be in play here so it appears the update is is “wonky”

Anyway, I noticed v1.9.11 added the ability to check LH or RH threading which is nice. But it does look like they screwed something up in the process.

Just for fun I used the conversational (v1.9.11) to generate a new thread program using negative values as necessary for the manual tool post. Same thing as you have discovered.

Starting to look like a new version is coming unless both you & I are overlooking something.

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

v1.9.11

v1.9.8

Tormach sent me a note that this is a known issue and they are working on a fix that will come out in the next few days.

Hmm, it’s been over a month now & no updates from Tormach.
    On 6/23/17 I submitted 3 bug reports with the following response from Tormach:
    Bug Report 1:
    Using PathPilot Thread Conversational to produce an external RH thread generates code that retracts the tool into the part for each pass when using the manual tool change position and negative values for “X START” and “X END”. This issue appears to be consistent no matter the parameters entered.
    Tormach Response:
    A bug crept into v1.9.11 for threading conversational with the manual tool post. You can wait a week or two for v1.9.12 to be released or revert back to v1.9.8. Sorry about that.
    Bug Report 2:
    After power-up when pressing the PathPilot “RESET” button an error is generated indicating “Requested tool 10100 not found in the tool table”. This error can be cleared and does not return until the next power cycle. Although this issue appears benign there maybe ramifications that are not fully understood.
    Tormach Response:
    The good news is that bug was fixed yesterday. Behind the scenes the RESET button sets the offset for the current lathe tool and fails with that strange error message. PathPilot v1.9.12 will be out in another week or so with this fixed. If want to be sure the correct offsets are applied at startup you can change the tool with a Txxyy in the MDI line. This is only a quirk at startup and doesn’t affect other tool change offsets from MDI or gcode programs.
    Bug Report 3
    PathPilot ‘COLLET’ open/close safety interlock function. I believe PP tries to prevent the collet from being opened anytime the spindle is rotating however the logic in v1.9.8, …, v1.9.11 seems faulty and allows you run the spindle regardless if it’s closed or open. The only time an error message is generated is if the spindle is rotating while the collect is opened and you then press the button to close it. This message states “Cannot open collet while spindle is on” This is in contrast to the fact we are already running the spindle with the collet opened. The logic should follow something along these lines:
    Whenever the spindle is command to rotate, either through the “CYLCE START” or manual operation, the collet must be closed or the appropriate error message is generated & the spindle does not rotate. At anytime the spindle is rotating the trying to open the collet generates the appropriate warning message and the collect remains closed.
    Tormach Response:
    Tormach: We will look into your report and see what’s going on with the collet closer logic.
    It’s funny that none of these bugs were listed in the PathPilot® Issues & Feature Requests Tracking.

Tormach hinted a week or two for v1.9.12 to be released and now 4 weeks later still nothing. More amazing is they have not made any statement about v1.9.11 crashing tools into your part when using the slant pro threading conversational with the manual tool post holder.

Oh well, I guess sweeping all this under the carpet is akin to performing no regression testing on your updates.

I just tried updating today and almost wrecked my tools. I'm lucky after the update and restoring my tool settings all my stuff was off by about a half inch, why? Who knows? This really sucks, I've seen that you guys have notified tormach over 4 months ago and they still haven't dealt with the problems. That really makes me sad.

So Tormach has finally released v1.9.12. I updated my PathPilot simulator to check it out & they have corrected the conversational threading issue & the erroneous tool 10100 error.

Beside these issues there are many others pertaining to both the mill & lathe. It will take some run time to make sure things are better than v1.9.8. It’s probably best to avoid the in-between version.

There was no mention about the collet open/close safety interlock function – Bug Report 3. In my mind this thing is still messed up but as long as you remember what you’re doing you can get the job done.

So I guess I’ll try out few more things out on the simulator then update my machine when I feel good about it.

What do you mean "PathPilot simulator" I thought it wouldn't run w/o the mesa card?

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    What do you mean "PathPilot simulator" I thought it wouldn't run w/o the mesa card?
    The MESA card is not needed to run PathPilot in a VirtualBox and PP is aware of it. As such it then simulates the MESA card & then allows you to pick the machine to operate. It then behaves like the real machine is connected up and everything just works as you would expect.

This is really great for trying out code right on your desktop, developing code (conversational and or hand coding), and for testing new updates.

So I have a Windows 7 desktop with all my CAD/CAM program that I use. Using Oracle VirtualBox I created a virtual computer running PathPilot so I have it available right on my desktop – very convenient.

Here is a screenshot of PP running on my Windows 7 Desktop:

That's incredibly useful.

I have a VirtualBox setup for running some old software that needs XP. I'll have to create an instance for this as well. Did you just create a LinuxVM and boot from your PathPilot CD? I can create a couple, one for my mill and another for the lathe.

It's always a great day when you learn about something that will make life much easier. I don't like standing there writing conversational code.

Yep, that's about it with just a few gotchas …

In VB create a basic VM like this:

• Give it a name: PathPilot
    • Type: Linux
    • Version: Ubuntu (32-bit)
    • Memory size: 2048 MB
    • Create a virtual hard drive now.

In the next screen you must create a VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) & Fixed size HD of 32 GB. The fixed size is necessary because of the PP installer.

After the VDI hard disk has been formatted you can proceed to installing PP. You can use the CD or an ISO copy of it.

Now for the fun part: Earlier versions of the PP CD were not VB aware. You can still use it for the install, then perform the updates later, but PP will complain about the MESA card not being present. Just reboot into the desktop & edit the “config_file.txt” to reflect a simulation to use like this:
    ~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_1100-3_sim.ini
    Once you do this & apply the latest PP update things will take care of themselves. With newer versions of the CD you don’t have to do this.

You only need 1 VM to simulate any of the machines. Each time PP starts it first ask for you to agree to the license agreement, then which machine to configure. Click, click and you’re off & running.

So after the install you’ll need to install the VB Guest Additions to get the screen size right, shares, and clipboard between the host & client going. I also do the “jail break” thing so that I boot into the linux desktop rather than PP.

So those are the basics. Yep, you do need a pretty good desktop with plenty of RAM & HD space. If your doing any serious CAD/CAM your probably already set. I have a 512 GB SSD set aside just for VB hard drives. But you could use your main HD, a USB drive or even a NAS location.