587,006 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Tormach / Haimer accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Have you checked the tool table to verify the diameter of the tip for you Haimler? They sell 0.2 inch tips and 4 mm tips, as well as other sizes. The diff between 0.2" as 4 mm is almost exactly 40 thou.
    Terry
    I figured Terry was on to it. It sounded to me like a 4mm tip in an imperial probe (even if your probe is off center it won't have any effect on the measurement you're attempting).
    That was, until you wrote this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Kmack View Post
    FWIW, at the start of this, I checked the tool holders for runout (it was very small), and mic'd the shaft of both endmills (within ~.0005 of 1/2"), yet the difference in their cutting width seems much greater than that (~.03)...?
    Even if you meant ~.003 that would be too much. If you did really mean 0.03 then you must have a huge amount of slop somewhere (very loose gibs perhaps?).
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    ... even if your probe is off center it won't have any effect on the measurement you're attempting
    Oh yeah, you're right.

When I got into the shop yesterday, I installed my Haimer & checked for concentricity. It was waaay off. So far that I couldn't correct it with the adjustment screws. (?). So I removed the Haimer from the spindle & removed it from its holder. Nothing seemed obviously wrong, so I carefully cleaned all the mating parts with alcohol, reinstalled everything, and... Boom! Now the concentricity was out by just over a thou. With a bit of tweaking of the adjustment screws I got it to well under 1/2 a thou. Much better. I ran the same test that started this whole thread off and... It now reads very close to the caliper measurement - within (~.0002). Awesome.
    Thanks to all who responded, and especially those who suggested checking the Haimer calibration.
    After this experience, I'm considering re-installing all of my tooling - cleaning first, then establishing my own check list to certify the accuracy & actual cutting characteristics of each tool.... Does anyone out there do this?
    Gerry Kmack

well glad you found you had a problem before you scrapped a bunch of parts because your zero was off.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

No

When I got into the shop yesterday, I installed my Haimer & checked for concentricity. It was waaay off. So far that I couldn't correct it with the adjustment screws. (?). So I removed the Haimer from the spindle & removed it from its holder. Nothing seemed obviously wrong, so I carefully cleaned all the mating parts with alcohol, reinstalled everything, and... Boom! Now the concentricity was out by just over a thou. With a bit of tweaking of the adjustment screws I got it to well under 1/2 a thou. Much better. I ran the same test that started this whole thread off and... It now reads very close to the caliper measurement - within (~.0002). Awesome.
    Thanks to all who responded, and especially those who suggested checking the Haimer calibration.
    After this experience, I'm considering re-installing all of my tooling - cleaning first, then establishing my own check list to certify the accuracy & actual cutting characteristics of each tool.... Does anyone out there do this?
    Gerry Kmack

Gerry Kmack
    Gerry,

I have a light commissioning procedure here. What I do is clean the cutters with an acetone wipe then measure my end mills flute to flute on a surface plate just for a sanity check. You will find that most quality cutters may be slightly undersized out of the gate, but well within their established specification. I then install them in the respective holder (ER or set screw) and put them in my machine where I tighten the draw bar down by hand-quite snug. I'll indicate the run out and perform a sanity check. Probably 90% of the time everything checks out great. Sometimes, however, I'll find that I have a concentric error and it is usually driven by a wayward small chip hidden in the holder/collet. I typically do not go beyond this level of due diligence because the returns are diminishing. Back in the day I had a test part program that I would run before I did a production run. Basically I would machine a 1"x 1/2" boss out of some 6061 square stock then measure it for obvious errors. I found so few deviations that I abandoned the practice after 6 months. That was in 2011. I will be using the check part program again shortly though because I just sent 20 carbide end mills off to be re-sharpened by a new service provider. Trust but verify!

This subject inspired me to inspect my Haimer and perform a functional check on it. The tip was slowly cycled across its entire range by hand and I noticed just after the zero center position, the movement required more force to continue, repeatably. I cycled the tip several times and this extra resistance at near zero center soon worked its way out. I suspect since the tip movement rarely goes past zero center (except for that one time), the movement past this point does not get exercised. Since I have not broken a tip in a long while, the Haimer does not get fully exercised. This will now be part of my setup procedure. Thanks for bringing this subject up.

-uman

"This subject inspired me to inspect my Haimer and perform a functional check on it. The tip was slowly cycled across its entire range by hand and I noticed just after the zero center position, the movement required more force to continue, repeatably. I cycled the tip several times and this extra resistance at near zero center soon worked its way out. I suspect since the tip movement rarely goes past zero center (except for that one time), the movement past this point does not get exercised. Since I have not broken a tip in a long while, the Haimer does not get fully exercised. This will now be part of my setup procedure. Thanks for bringing this subject up."

Haimer calisthenics before working

Page 2 of 2 12