586,651 active members*
2,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Another Hardinge HNC Retrofit

Got a late Christmas present for my self a few days a go. A ~1982 Hardinge HNC lathe. Didn't have any of the controls with it just the lathe. Did a few quick tests to see if there was any back lash on the cross-slide, my Mitutoyo dial indicator didn't see anything to 0.0000. Will be fun to see this thing skimming microns of the diameter or something close to that.
    This is one well build machine! all the cables and covers are sealed nicely all the wiring is organized very well.

First I was thinking of doing a retro on my 13" Sebastian lathe, but I thought about it some more and decided it is not worth the work as it would have cost 3 times more than what I paid for the HNC and the outcome would not hold a candle to the HNC.

By the looks of the commutator on the motor this lathe probably ran under a thousand hours if the motors are original.

I will go Mach3 and Geckos for now. It looks like I will be able to fit all the electronics in the cabinet that is on the left side of the machine. I have some Haas 2000 line encoders that I will use for feedback. I might leave the original 3ph 2hp spindle motor with the two speed clutch and variable speed belt drive that is controlled with a ballscrew and stepper motor.

Thank you to everyone that is on this forum and helping people with your knowledge and TIME!!!

I'll put up pics as I go.
    Dennis

Re: Another Hardinge HNC Retrofit

Hi Dennis,

I also have an HLVH 1986 tool room lathe, I also would like to retrofit it to a CNC but don't know where to start, If you would kindly share the information for your conversion would be greatly appreciated,

Need to know what components are needed, I like the idea of using Mach3 since I bought a copy of it years ago when I converted my mill to CNC, and am familiar with it.
    Thanks.

John