586,693 active members*
2,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 6 12345

Re: Anyone Load PathPilot yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kbmyers View Post
    Mine did the same thing. Sounds like you fixed it but there is another solution as well. It isn't that the disk is bad, the problem is that your DVD drive can't read the brand of disk Tormach used to burn the DVDs. This was a fairly common problem in the early days of DVD readers and questionable DVD media. My main computer could read the disk fine, so I created an .ISO image with ImgBurn and then re-wrote it to a new disk. My controller had no problem reading that disk and I was up and running quickly, which was lucky since I didn't have a spare DVD drive handy.

I learn that trick a couple months ago when I needed to use the Tormach recovery disk after a hard drive failure. Same issue - I could read the disk but not boot from it.

Kent

Thanks for that information - but wouldn't you think Tormach would have produced a disk that ALL Tormach controllers could boot from? Mine is from 2009 so pretty old, but still one of theirs.

Unless they did regression testing with every configuration of computer they've ever sold this would be a hard problem to discover. If they are duplicating the discs in house then they simply need to switch to a different brand of media, but if they're outsourcing the duplication it might be harder to control. A better long term solution for us Tormach owners is to just buy a newer DVD reader - I think you can get one for about $20 now.

I had emailed Tormach before I ended up swapping the dvd drives out. Heard back from them this morning.
    One of the troubleshooting steps Nolan at Tormach suggested was to check in the bios that it is set to "ahci" mode and not "ide". Just an FYI for others who might have the same issue, I'm not going to change my drive back to find out!

Ran the machine all day today on a part with only drilled holes with no problems. Will be setting up a part with milling and tapping tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kbmyers View Post
    Unless they did regression testing with every configuration of computer they've ever sold this would be a hard problem to discover. If they are duplicating the discs in house then they simply need to switch to a different brand of media, but if they're outsourcing the duplication it might be harder to control. A better long term solution for us Tormach owners is to just buy a newer DVD reader - I think you can get one for about $20 now.
    I would like to add I have a house full of computers and maybe 1 or 2 good optical drives out of 6 systems! They are so cheap and low bin devices that as noted above easy to replace. I made my tormach controller from an old system and that was the first thing I replaced so I could install windows and mach. No way windows disk was going to boot unless it had good drive.
    md

Quote Originally Posted by bryanoates View Post
    Ran the machine all day today on a part with only drilled holes with no problems. Will be setting up a part with milling and tapping tomorrow.
    I air cut 4 programs and all went fine, I am finishing two Medallions both sides, as we type, not a hitch.................

I did the air cutting yesterday, the Medallions today, the computer was on all night, just loaded the program, set center and Z, hit start, all is fine..
    mike sr

found something to day if a computer run`s like crap with M3 it run`s like crap with Linux

the one`s tormach tested on will be fine even if they had problems with M3
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I ordered 10 128 meg thumb drives today, I intend to put a family of parts on each of them around 10 files or so, I hope it will be easier than wading thru 100 programs to find the one I need, then label the drive with the name of part, this way the icons wont matter so much.

Lot of 10 USB Flash Drives 128MB not GB Color Red USB Stick Thumb Drive | eBay
    mike sr

Anyone having luck using the passive touch probe. I cant seem to get my work offset set correctly using it. I messed around for a day and put mach back on since I could get it to probe correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I ordered 10 128 meg thumb drives today, I intend to put a family of parts on each of them around 10 files or so, I hope it will be easier than wading thru 100 programs to find the one I need, then label the drive with the name of part, this way the icons wont matter so much.

Lot of 10 USB Flash Drives 128MB not GB Color Red USB Stick Thumb Drive | eBay
    I've been using 8GB Lexar "Jump Drive" USB sticks for the last year or so. They are frequently available at cdn$14.95 for 3 from Staples. They come in colours with an activity LED at the end and a protective cover. I use ROBOCOPY to sync my entire \DRAWINGS directory to a drive each time I make changes. This automatically gives me a backup of all of my work files and they are stored semi-offsite (in my pants pocket). By keepng a pocket full of drives I can revert from any disastrous changes.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I've been using 8GB Lexar "Jump Drive" USB sticks for the last year or so. They are frequently available at cdn$14.95 for 3 from Staples. They come in colours with an activity LED at the end and a protective cover. I use ROBOCOPY to sync my entire \DRAWINGS directory to a drive each time I make changes. This automatically gives me a backup of all of my work files and they are stored semi-offsite (in my pants pocket). By keepng a pocket full of drives I can revert from any disastrous changes.
    I use those larger usb drives as well, and I tend to use them for backup as you are doing, my problem is I dont have any for just a few programs, I figured with these small ones I wouldnt use them for backups as they are too small for that, and just the right size for a few programs, we will see how that works out. At least I will have a bunch of empty ones for awhile ha!
    mike sr

I've had mine loaded up for a few days now, so far I'm lik'n it. For one thing it supports microstepping, which I'm not sure if Mach did ( at any rate I always used .0005 steps in Mach ), it's nice to be getting .0001 steps. The install went without a hitch. A little head scratching as to where to put the parallel cable ( no explicit mention in the instructions ), but it *had* to be off the Mesa card not the old one. I really like the rapid speed control, it makes cutting that first part far less stressful. The conversational mode will make some things I do, like block sizing, much easier and safer. I like the fact I can zoom and change tool motion views while it's cutting without any fear of messing with pulse flow.
    Couple of little glitchy things:
    1) I put some tool table entries using a electronic tool setter off the table. When I mounted some material and checked the tool lengths off the part, they were off by quite a bit, as in up to .005!? After adjusting the lengths using the part as a ref surface, they were dead on in subsequent checks. Don't know what that's about. I'm using a simple contact version; I may have been dorking around with the 'Move and set work offset' button', trying to understand it.
    2) I've decided to devide my tool table into groups, ie, all flat end mills together, drills, etc. I found that scrolling the tool table past about 140 falters! Clicking the down scroll button or the area under the scroll handle bounces the table back up.
    3) I've also had a problem with putting axis params in the G30, G30.1 commands. It seems to work in MDI, but not in code.

All in all I think this is a big step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    I've had mine loaded up for a few days now, so far I'm lik'n it. For one thing it supports microstepping, which I'm not sure if Mach did ( at any rate I always used .0005 steps in Mach ), it's nice to be getting .0001 steps.
    Mach3 neither knows, nor cares, if you're micro-stepping or not. That is a setting in the stepper drivers. Unless you've changed switch settings in the drivers, then micro-stepping is exactly as it was with Mach3.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I've had mine loaded up for a few days now, so far I'm lik'n it. For one thing it supports microstepping, which I'm not sure if Mach did ( at any rate I always used .0005 steps in Mach ), it's nice to be getting .0001 steps. The install went without a hitch. A little head scratching as to where to put the parallel cable ( no explicit mention in the instructions ), but it *had* to be off the Mesa card not the old one. I really like the rapid speed control, it makes cutting that first part far less stressful. The conversational mode will make some things I do, like block sizing, much easier and safer. I like the fact I can zoom and change tool motion views while it's cutting without any fear of messing with pulse flow.
    Couple of little glitchy things:
    1) I put some tool table entries using a electronic tool setter off the table. When I mounted some material and checked the tool lengths off the part, they were off by quite a bit, as in up to .005!? After adjusting the lengths using the part as a ref surface, they were dead on in subsequent checks. Don't know what that's about. I'm using a simple contact version; I may have been dorking around with the 'Move and set work offset' button', trying to understand it.
    2) I've decided to devide my tool table into groups, ie, all flat end mills together, drills, etc. I found that scrolling the tool table past about 140 falters! Clicking the down scroll button or the area under the scroll handle bounces the table back up.
    3) I've also had a problem with putting axis params in the G30, G30.1 commands. It seems to work in MDI, but not in code.

All in all I think this is a big step in the right direction.
    The steps listed on the screen are for the jog / steps controller, I always used .0001 in Mach but I had to enter it manually, Pathpilot has an entry for it. It does seem to operate the table smoother than Mach, may just be my imagination but I dont think so.
    I havent played with the automatic entrys into the tool table, I put them in by hand and they are OK.

Click on the tool number column and enter the number you want and it will display that particular tool number, I dont use the scroll function for that.

I have had the computer on for a couple days and havent lost a usb port due to windows, compressor starts etc. Thats a good thing!!
    I still have a hickey in the finish of a long contoured part, I am now thinking that may be model related as I had it with Mach as well.

Pathpilot has operated flawlessly so far...!, and so has the computer..
    mike sr

For one thing it supports microstepping, which I'm not sure if Mach did ( at any rate I always used .0005 steps in Mach ), it's nice to be getting .0001 steps.
    The Tormach standard Mach 3 setup has always used 0.1 mil micro-stepping, that is not new. Perhaps you were thinking about
    the default jogging step sizes, which can also be set to 0.1 mil steps.

After adjusting the lengths using the part as a ref surface, they were dead on in subsequent checks.
    The offline tool checking just always seems to take too long too me. Much easier just to zero each tool in the spindle, and update the tool table that way. YMMV.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

btw, updated installation instructions available from Tormach. They added pictures and a lot of text about swapping the parallel cable from the old port to the new PCI card port.

Guess they got a lot of phone calls....

http://www.tormach.com/uploads/893/T...0315A-pdf.html
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Can this thread be moved back to the Tormach section? The product can only be used for Tormach machines so that seems an appropriate place for it. I've no reason to read this section and would not want to miss news on the product, like the link to new documentation that tmarks just posted.

I hope the CNC-Zone moderators will let me know if I am out of line with the request and that other members will also voice their opinion, pro or con.

Mike.

You can use the "Thread tools" (near the top of this page) to get an email everytime there is a posting to a particular thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Can this thread be moved back to the Tormach section? The product can only be used for Tormach machines so that seems an appropriate place for it. I've no reason to read this section and would not want to miss news on the product, like the link to new documentation that tmarks just posted.

I hope the CNC-Zone moderators will let me know if I am out of line with the request and that other members will also voice their opinion, pro or con.

Mike.
    CNCZone admins really love to move active, useful threads to obscure forums, where nobody will ever find them again, to die. This thread clearly belongs in the Tormach forum, perhaps even as a sub-forum. But absolutely not here....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 3 of 6 12345