586,876 active members*
3,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Auto oiler question

Given that the lines are empty every morning the oil must be going somewhere. No?

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    Given that the lines are empty every morning the oil must be going somewhere. No?
    That doesn't mean it's going where it's needed. The regulating valves have check valves in them. So, without pressure, and a fair amount of pressure at that, the oil is NOT going to the ways and ballscrews. When I took mine apart earlier this year, I found several of the valves were stuck shut, and could find no way to get them to open, even with 125 PSI air.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    That doesn't mean it's going where it's needed. The regulating valves have check valves in them. So, without pressure, and a fair amount of pressure at that, the oil is NOT going to the ways and ballscrews. When I took mine apart earlier this year, I found several of the valves were stuck shut, and could find no way to get them to open, even with 125 PSI air.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    The oil restrictors on my Torus Pro are not the check valve type. The hand pump that came with my mill (just like the one shown) has check valves in the fittings on the sides of the pump. These are the 90* elbow fittings coming off each side. They have a ball bearing and spring in them. You might want to take them out (caution oil will flow out readily when removed) and check to see if they are clean and working.

The oil restrictors on my mill are all #2's, each number step basically cuts the oil flow in half. So going to a #1 is half the oil flow. BTW the oil restrictors are not cheap, when I looked up getting some #1's for the head (linear bearings and ball screw) I found that they got for $15 each. I am running a true auto pump on mine, so it dispenses a small oil shot every 30 minutes of on time. I seem to get a fair amount of oil flowing off the linear rails and ball screws of my mill head, but don't seem to see much off some of the parts of the table.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    The oil restrictors on my Torus Pro are not the check valve type.
    Hmmm.... The ones on BOTH of my Novakons ARE the check-valve type, a mix of #2s and #3s. Of course, I have since removed them all, and setup a system with needle valves so I can control distribution. When I get some time, I'm going to setup a system that uses a pneumatic positive displacement pump and valving to automatically pump oil into each circuit individually on a programmable schedule, based on actual machine run-time.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Hmmm.... The ones on BOTH of my Novakons ARE the check-valve type, a mix of #2s and #3s. Of course, I have since removed them all, and setup a system with needle valves so I can control distribution. When I get some time, I'm going to setup a system that uses a pneumatic positive displacement pump and valving to automatically pump oil into each circuit individually on a programmable schedule, based on actual machine run-time.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Well now you have me wondering if there is something wrong with some of the Metering units on my mill. I know the ones on my mill head all will drain back over time and when I had them out I was able to spray cleaner through both directions. I will have to check them soon.

The automatic pump I have is this, I scored a used one for free.

Lube Electric Pumps

Its a Lube USA pump model MLZ. I think I have a 2.5cc 30 minute unit. The actual output is adjustable from about 1.5 to 2.5cc's per cycle (30 minutes in my case).

-Dan