585,754 active members*
4,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Auto oiler question

How much pressure does it take for you guys to operate your oilers.
    The one on the Torus was easy. The one on the Pulsar has always been pretty stiff and now seems even stiffer. I am scared that I am going to break something. It is very hard to pull the handle down all the way. It does seem to oil fine and it works as it should when you release the handle. Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encl2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	270510
    Lee

Re: Auto oiler question

I have been using 30 W oil in this. I just ordered some 20 W Vactra 2. I think that may make a difference. That is most likely what it had in it to start with.

I found out that this pumps distributes the oil on the pull stroke and not the release. That means to push the 30 W through would certainly take more force.
    Lee

I use 20W Vactra on my NM200. First stroke is easy in the morning, the it's hard to do another. So one must be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    First stroke is easy in the morning, the it's hard to do another. So one must be enough.
    The first stroke does nothing more than fill the lines. It's unlikely it gets much, if any, oil actually where it's needed. To reduce pressure, replace ALL of the regulating valves (there are about a dozen) with larger ones.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Given that the lines are empty every morning the oil must be going somewhere. No?

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    Given that the lines are empty every morning the oil must be going somewhere. No?
    That doesn't mean it's going where it's needed. The regulating valves have check valves in them. So, without pressure, and a fair amount of pressure at that, the oil is NOT going to the ways and ballscrews. When I took mine apart earlier this year, I found several of the valves were stuck shut, and could find no way to get them to open, even with 125 PSI air.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    That doesn't mean it's going where it's needed. The regulating valves have check valves in them. So, without pressure, and a fair amount of pressure at that, the oil is NOT going to the ways and ballscrews. When I took mine apart earlier this year, I found several of the valves were stuck shut, and could find no way to get them to open, even with 125 PSI air.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    The oil restrictors on my Torus Pro are not the check valve type. The hand pump that came with my mill (just like the one shown) has check valves in the fittings on the sides of the pump. These are the 90* elbow fittings coming off each side. They have a ball bearing and spring in them. You might want to take them out (caution oil will flow out readily when removed) and check to see if they are clean and working.

The oil restrictors on my mill are all #2's, each number step basically cuts the oil flow in half. So going to a #1 is half the oil flow. BTW the oil restrictors are not cheap, when I looked up getting some #1's for the head (linear bearings and ball screw) I found that they got for $15 each. I am running a true auto pump on mine, so it dispenses a small oil shot every 30 minutes of on time. I seem to get a fair amount of oil flowing off the linear rails and ball screws of my mill head, but don't seem to see much off some of the parts of the table.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    The oil restrictors on my Torus Pro are not the check valve type.
    Hmmm.... The ones on BOTH of my Novakons ARE the check-valve type, a mix of #2s and #3s. Of course, I have since removed them all, and setup a system with needle valves so I can control distribution. When I get some time, I'm going to setup a system that uses a pneumatic positive displacement pump and valving to automatically pump oil into each circuit individually on a programmable schedule, based on actual machine run-time.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Now that will be very cool.
    I heard Tormach has an auto oiler as well. Will it be similar to that?
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Now that will be very cool.
    I heard Tormach has an auto oiler as well. Will it be similar to that?
    Lee,

Don't think so. I believe theirs is nothing but a powered pump and timer for the standard system - it saves you the trouble of pulling the handle. Mine will let me set the exact volume of oil each circuit will get.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Sounds good. Reason I ask is I would like to get something that is Automatic like this and set according to run time just like you mention. I don't think my workers pull the handle often enough and I would like to eliminate the human aspect of oiling the ways and screws.
    Sounds like you are on it.
    Lee

Would something like this work?

McMaster-Carr
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Hmmm.... The ones on BOTH of my Novakons ARE the check-valve type, a mix of #2s and #3s. Of course, I have since removed them all, and setup a system with needle valves so I can control distribution. When I get some time, I'm going to setup a system that uses a pneumatic positive displacement pump and valving to automatically pump oil into each circuit individually on a programmable schedule, based on actual machine run-time.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Well now you have me wondering if there is something wrong with some of the Metering units on my mill. I know the ones on my mill head all will drain back over time and when I had them out I was able to spray cleaner through both directions. I will have to check them soon.

The automatic pump I have is this, I scored a used one for free.

Lube Electric Pumps

Its a Lube USA pump model MLZ. I think I have a 2.5cc 30 minute unit. The actual output is adjustable from about 1.5 to 2.5cc's per cycle (30 minutes in my case).

-Dan

Check out this one, its an imported unit but $100 for an automatic lubricator pump.
    Automatic Manual Type Lubricator Yesb 30 220V 2L Bijur | eBay

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    Check out this one, its an imported unit but $100 for an automatic lubricator pump.
    Automatic Manual Type Lubricator Yesb 30 220V 2L Bijur | eBay

-Dan
    I saw those and wondered about them. At that price, it might be worth a shot. Pun intended.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I saw those and wondered about them. At that price, it might be worth a shot. Pun intended.
    That looks to be a copy of the one I have. The only thing I see that of any concern is the volume displaced. Its 3-6cc per shot. The "30" in the part number seems to be the minutes between dispensing, the one I am using is 30 minutes and that seems to be enough oil or maybe too much when turned up to 2.5cc. So maybe a 60 minute model turned down to the 3cc setting.
    -Dan

The Vactra II did the trick. It works easier now with that. I may still go for the auto oiler option after taxes this year. Seems like a wise choice.
    I also picked up one of those HF inspection cameras. It works okay, but doesn't actually take pictures. You have to view it live. I wanted the other one with USB capability and on board storage for pictures, but they did not have it in stock.
    This one works okay though. You can see the screws and ways pretty easily with it. That is the main reason I bought it was to check those nooks and crannies.
    Lee