3,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: My Gingery Inspired lathe project

I ran across this recently, makes me reconsider building this instead:

MultiMachine | Open Source Machine Tools

Yeah, I have the MultiMachine plans and was impressed with the capacity that could be gained by using the engine block but I have not done anything with the plans other than look through them. I was contemplating that build or perhaps a modified version but have not seen the need for pursuing it. It is all really relative to what you want to accomplish in the end and what you feel is going to get you there with the least resistance. The Gingery series of DIY machines will teach you a lot if you work through it, but you will most likely learn things with the multimachine build too. Myself, I have used pattern making, sand molding, and casting aluminum a lot since I finished working on the machines and it enables doing things that are very difficult if not impossible to do with other fabrication techniques.
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Yeah, I have the MultiMachine plans and was impressed with the capacity that could be gained by using the engine block but I have not done anything with the plans other than look through them. I was contemplating that build or perhaps a modified version but have not seen the need for pursuing it. It is all really relative to what you want to accomplish in the end and what you feel is going to get you there with the least resistance. The Gingery series of DIY machines will teach you a lot if you work through it, but you will most likely learn things with the multimachine build too. Myself, I have used pattern making, sand molding, and casting aluminum a lot since I finished working on the machines and it enables doing things that are very difficult if not impossible to do with other fabrication techniques.
    Oh, It is on my to-do list. However, for the sake of goal accomplishment I am sticking with and completing this project before moving on to the next one.

Old cast Iron blocks can be found for pretty cheap, as can the engine stand. You could build a pretty large machine with a relatively small amount of money.

I must say, Medium Density Fiberboard is SUPERIOR for pattern making. I just discovered that, so I thought I would share.

I'm busy working on tapping those holes and making patterns. Looks like the wrench included with the harbor freight kit isn't up to the task. I bought their more expensive one, but it's chuck broke. Took it back and got refund. Might get something better somewhere else. (This looks pretty good: Amazon.com: Lisle LI70500 Tap Socket Set: Automotive )

I did happen to find some free solid polished granite off craigslist.
    2 pieces, both 3/4 inch thick. one is 17x13.5", the other is 17x15". I'm wondering if I could use those in some way that would be beneficial.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched that shaper video, so cool.

MDF is the bee's knee's for machining, but be careful of the dust, it's full of chemicals and is extremely hazardous for your health. Loads of cases of illness and long term respiratory problems with people machining it, partly also as the dust is amazingly fine at times and really gets in everywhere.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!